problems with install on home made system

leeper69
Hi I have ben downloding antix mx14 on my laptop and home systems, and am having problems getting the video and sound card to work on my home built desktop.
the cpu is a intl q9550 quad core
the gpu is a geforce gt630 (nvidia driver 331.113)
the sound card is a soundblaster audigy 2 zs
mx14 loaded and i do have vidio with the nuvo driver but if i just try to use the graphical nvidia installer I reboot into a blank screen.

I found a thred about using the sgfxl command loged in at inet 3 as root. but havent tryed it yet.
I have a multipel system grub and dont know how to boot to inet 3 my only choices are reguler boot and safe mode.

mx14 wil not play any sound from the sound blaster card. I ran dmsg | grep alsa looking for clues
I ran dmesg | grep sound and it looks like alsa is trying to use my nvidia card as the sound card.
can anyone tell me where the config file for alsa is, or give me any other advice on how to fix these problems.
fatmac
Try alsamixer in a terminal & check it is not muted, (MM, should be 00), & if you have 2 sound cards detected (F6).
Jerry
To rug sgfxi, boot up to your regular desktop, then press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a command line outside of X. Log in as root, then just type in

Code: Select all

sgfxi
and follow the prompts.

About the sound: please open a terminal and enter

aplay -l
and post the output back here.
leeper69
thanks for answering my post fatmac and jerry I cant try the fixes untill tomorow because the machine is working on a vidio tonight.
I will get your sugjestions and let you know what the output of aplay -1 report's.

I got antix mx14 to run flowlessly on an old single core amd 2650 se emachine with a nforce 430 vidio card and onboard sound
using the nvida driver.1gig of memory and a wireless usb. pared with a wireless keyboard /mouse pad and xbmc gotham runs fine
for a cheap home entertainment center and brouser on a flat pannel tv with a pc hookup.
leeper69
Hi fatmac and jerry I ran the command sgfxi as root following jerrys advice and the system still booted without the nvida control center so I ran the nvidia installer agin and it dident crash x and booted back up with nvida graphics but no nvidia server settings was found in the menue. I had 4 new updates in the apt notifyer so I downloaded them one was for nvida server settings. the nvidia server settings is now in the menue and the card is using nvidia driver 340.65
thanks jerry!!

I opend alsa mixer in the terminal and it looks to be set up right. I also used gnome-alsa-mixer after downloading it and found no muted channels.
thanks fatmac!

I ran aplay -1 as root an was prompted to run aplay --help when I did I got the following message.
ALSA lib pcm dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) aplay:main:682:audio open error:no such file or directory
Last edited by leeper69 on 27 Dec 2014, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
thriftee
I think he meant

aplay -l

That's a small"L", not a"1". Then it would give you a list of devices and stuff __{{emoticon}}__

You could post the output here if you are still having problems with it...
leeper69
root@mx1:/home/user# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
Subdevices: 32/32
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
Subdevice #10: subdevice #10
Subdevice #11: subdevice #11
Subdevice #12: subdevice #12
Subdevice #13: subdevice #13
Subdevice #14: subdevice #14
Subdevice #15: subdevice #15
Subdevice #16: subdevice #16
Subdevice #17: subdevice #17
Subdevice #18: subdevice #18
Subdevice #19: subdevice #19
Subdevice #20: subdevice #20
Subdevice #21: subdevice #21
Subdevice #22: subdevice #22
Subdevice #23: subdevice #23
Subdevice #24: subdevice #24
Subdevice #25: subdevice #25
Subdevice #26: subdevice #26
Subdevice #27: subdevice #27
Subdevice #28: subdevice #28
Subdevice #29: subdevice #29
Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 1: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
card 1: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]], device 4: p16v [p16v]
root@mx1:/home/user#
leeper69
Hi thriftee and thanks for your help!
the post above is my aplay -l output
thriftee
Your problem is beyond my experience, but if I might suggest, while you are at it, run

lspci | grep Audio

and then run

lsmod

and post that output as well. From that they can see what devices it sees, and what drivers are loaded, I think. Maybe that will help one of the wizards help you get it running.

Have you tried just playing something? None of this stuff is needed if its working, LOL
fatmac
Looks like your default audio is HDMI, card0.
Card1 is normal on board Sound Blaster Audigy2.

You may have to change your default to card1.

(In XMMS you can set which card to use - Preferences > Configure > Audio Device - HW:1,0 may get it working.)
Jerry
I suspected that was the case. Unless you want to use something like PulseAudio, the easiest way to solve this is to create a hidden file called .asoundrc (don't forget the dot in front of the name) in your home directory. Then open it and paste in this code:

pcm.!default {
           type hw
           card 1
        }

ctl.!default {
           type hw           
           card 1
        }
Save it, log out and back in, and you should be good to go.
leeper69
Hi I just tryed the nvidia installer after doing all the updates on a fresh install using synaptic and ran the installer from the desktop and after rebooting the proper driver for the card was loaded. thanks to jerry and fatmac and everyone involved in the rewright of the graphical nvidia installer and apt!
you got to love this colaberation called mx-14

thanks agin to jerry!!! your sound driver skript worked I now have alsa sound working.