Becky
becky@mepis1:~$ sux
Password:
su: Authentication failure
installed on an 8 gb micro sd card with an sd adapter with ext2 file system. no separate home. I have sound but t is very low even with levels at high in aumix. 8.5 full version no swap
thanks

becky@mepis1:~$ sux
Password:
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
root@mepis1:/home/becky# apt-get install vlc arduino
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 20000000. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 20000000. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Error occurred while processing vmware-view-open-client (NewPackage)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_contrib_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
root@mepis1:/home/becky#
secipolla
For the second, just delete /etc/apt/apt.conf

You can also take the opportunity and edit /etc/apt/preferences and remove the mepis and the debian entries, leaving only the linux-kbuild entry. Otherwise your debian-multimedia.org repo won't work.
Becky
thanks secipoola deleting apt.conf worked.
Contents of /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 901

Package: *
Pin: release o=MEPIS
Pin-Priority: 800

Is this the right file?
secipolla
Yes, that's the right file. Doesn't it have an entry for the linux-kbuild package as well?
Those two entries can be removed (and don't use the MEPIS repo to install anything). If there are only them then you can delete the file.

FYI, that was from the time antiX had both MEPIS and Debian repos enabled. Now it's not recommended to enable the MEPIS repository so you can safely remove that file (actually if you keep it it will disable the mplayer updates from the debian-multimedia repo).

-edit- also you can use just su to run apt-get. sux is for running some graphical application as root.
Becky
Thanks -Ideleted the file and repository. Iwas tring to update and install arduino and can't get past sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre
The file is damaged and I can't install or remove it. I can't or don't know how to accept the agreement. Is there another package or a file I can delete?
I still have sound problems too but i need to figure this first.
THANKS
secipolla
Try
apt-get -f install

You can try also
dpkg --configure -a

If these don't work you can open Synaptic, search for those packages and either mark for complete removal or for installation, whatever applies.
Becky
Thanks That helped some. I saw I should have used apt-get instead of synaptic to do a system update.
secipolla
Actually, for current Debian testing (like default antiX) there shouldn't have problem updating the system with Synaptic (since there has been no serious breakages). If using Debian unstable repos, then it's better to use smxi since it gives alerts on troublesome packages and also puts on hold related packages that have a version mismatch.
Becky
Thanks for all of your help. I have had multiple problems-some I posted-some I didn't. I just installed Mint 9 LXDE RC and everything works ootb. It is worth a try if you have an eeepc 900 and don't object to using an Ubuntu variant. It reminds me of Crunchee wearing green. Right now, I am focusing on working through an Arduno starter kit to learn the basics of electronics and open source hardware and was able to install the Aduino IDE without problems. I'll be back.
secipolla
Nice that it's working fine. LXDE is doing very well in my Debian Sid and it promises even more since PCMan is working on PCManFM for it not to depend on GVFS.
I would think that unless one needs something very very light, when LXDE matures a bit more it will be the standard for a lightweight desktop.