plvera
Hello:
I've been fooling around trying to get mutt and vim to work together for email. I've been sucessful in sending email with mutt, however, getting email from a pop server is a problem.

I've installed fetchmail and when I run fetchmail -vk it shows the following:

fetchmail: 6.3.9-rc2 querying incoming.verizon.net (protocol POP3) at Fri 01 Jan 2010 06:46:04 PM EST: poll started
Trying to connect to 206.46.232.10/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.2-6.01 (built Apr 3 2006)) <4b3e893c.aa3b848@vms103.mailsrvcs.net>
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
fetchmail: POP3< AUTH-RESP-CODE
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION MMP-6.2p6.01 Apr 3 2006
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: incoming.verizon.net: opportunistic upgrade to TLS failed, trying to continue.
fetchmail: POP3> AUTH CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: POP3< + PDRiM2U4OTNjLmFhM2I4NDhAdm1zMTAzLm1haWxzcnZjcy5uZXQ+
fetchmail: POP3> cGx2ZXJhQHZlcml6b24ubmV0IDMzZDMzODE5NTBkNzk4NDA5ZjhlZGE5MjY3N2FkZGFl
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Maildrop ready
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 601
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
1 message for plvera@verizon.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false at incoming.verizon.net (601 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 601
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 601 octets
reading message plvera@verizon.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false@incoming.verizon.net:1 of 1 (601 octets)
Trying to connect to 127.0.0.1/25...connection failed.
fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed: Connection refused.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< probably won't work
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from plvera@verizon.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false@incoming.verizon.net and delivering to SMTP host localhost
fetchmail: 6.3.9-rc2 querying incoming.verizon.net (protocol POP3) at Fri 01 Jan 2010 06:46:05 PM EST: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

As far as I can tell, and from reading different posts on other websites, it's a problem with connecting to localhost on port 25. I tried to telnet to that port but discovered that antix does not have a telnet application (at least I could not get it from a plain terminal). Or is the problem that SMTP does not work at all?

How do I get that port to a"listen" status?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pedro

P.S. I got alpine to work with vim and it works fine for both sending and receiving emails. As I said, I'm just fooling around and wasting time __{{emoticon}}__
plvera
Figured out the problem. Had to install postfix in order to get SMTP up and running. Now fetchmail, and mutt work just fine.

Pedro
malanrich
I'm glad you posted on this, Pedro. I was interested in trying Mutt at one time but got scared off. Then someone mentioned alpine, which I've been monkeying with for a few days. Now I wish I'd tried it a long time ago. Works great with both full antiX and -base. But the"friendly for novices" needs some qualification. Without online FAQs and forums, the new user would be lost...
plvera
Yes, I agree. I had used alpine about 15-20 years ago, when it was the standard email agent at the university setting, so I was pretty familiar with it. Still it took me some time to set all the configurations right, but it was not a big deal.

Setting up mutt to work was much more challenging but, in my opinion, a lot more rewarding. It also seems a lot more versatile than alpine, for example, it can open attachments directly (don't remember alpine doing that, but maybe it can) and it can also open urls (if you install urlview).

So, don't be scared off by mutt, since it can be conquered! I have several good links and a very nice pdf detailing mutt features that I would be happy to pass along. Also, if you want any help, I'll be happy to share whatever experience I got from stumbling in the dark for about 2 days __{{emoticon}}__

Regards,
Pedro