lupgaru
I know this isn't your normal wireless modem but I've had it running fine in other distros. Some like Ubuntu it's plug and play on boot. I just can't seem to get it working (Antix 8.2).
Anyone have any Tips or Tricks I could use.

It uses Sierra Wireless and Cingular, AT&T Data USB
anticapitalista
Site Admin

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/problem-with-at-t-mobile-broadband-t1970.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/problem-wit ... t1970.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

might help. Use gppp in antiX control centre->Network->Configure dialup

or try umtsmon in menu-Network.
eriefisher
You don't mention the model of the modem??

I recently got a sierra usb stick running on antiX. It was plug and play with gppp. The provider here in Canada is Telus. The log in info was the phone-number@1xtelusmobility.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false(or something similar) and the password was the id number on the stick itself which is unique to the device. The stick did have to be activated on a windows box first but it work great. The speed was excellent.

I would make sure the driver is being loaded when you plug in the device. Run lsmod in a terminal and you should see"sierra" listed it the device is plugged in. The driver is built in to recent kernels and is in the Mepis kernel.
lupgaru
The Model is a AT&T USB Connect Mercury. hope that helps.

Had no luck with gppp, it detects a USB Modem and trys to dial the number but to no avail.

Howto run ismod in terminal? ( I build desktops and repair desktops and laptops, just learning command line,please be patient in that area)

The Modem is listed as Sierra in Windoze and Linux with a Cingular connection if that info helps.

Thanks for all the advice.

P.S. AntiX works great on my DSL and wireless on 3 of my computers. This is a great Operating System, just have to learn more.
eriefisher
This is what I found out about the modem, please confirm.

url was:"http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+USBConnect+Mercury&q_sku=sku2940237#tabModule"
linktext was:"http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... #tabModule"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

You will need to use UMTSMON. The modem is 3g so this will do the trick. You will need the login info from your provider. There is a wap user and the address to point to which for me was internet.com. I don't think it requires a password.
lupgaru
You found it. I had tried UMTSMON early this morning and it did detect the 3g modem. So far I have had no luck getting the info from AT&T but waiting for a reply from the IT Department tomorrow. Looks promising, I will keep you advised of my progress. Thank you every so much for the help. It's people like yourself that give Linux a good name.
eriefisher
I have dealt with with two of the largest wireless/cell providers here in Canada to get their products to work with Linux. Neither officially support Linux but after being transferred a couple of times from department to department I was able to speak to someone willing to help me and get the info I needed. Both people were very helpful.

When speaking to them I made sure I explain that all I wanted was the logon info. I was not interested in actual support and had already had the device available and functioning on my system. Be sure to be patient and polite, it will get you a long way. Remember that(and they will remind you) they do not support Linux.
lupgaru
I noticed that they don't support Linux. (Stupid) I'm sending some of the Specifications I found and a Screenshot of what the Connection Manager shows me in Ubuntu, hope that helps.
eriefisher
What info did you enter to get it to connect? There must have been some input from yourself. You could also install the same app used in *buntu to connect if you find that easier and are familiar with it. My self, I have no love for *buntu or Gnome so I don't know what they use.
lupgaru
eriefisher wrote:What info did you enter to get it to connect? There must have been some input from yourself. You could also install the same app used in *buntu to connect if you find that easier and are familiar with it. My self, I have no love for *buntu or Gnome so I don't know what they use.
All I did in Ubuntu and Fedora was boot up and a Configuration Screen poped up. It asked for Name of Modem and my Country and hit Accept. After that the wireless status changed from bars to a small Tower symbol. Then it said that my Broadband was available. I then right clicked the Symbol and edited my connection to connect automatically. It then started the manager and connected(if the signal was good enough, which is often good) to the 3G network.
There was not any program necessary to look for in System or Applications, it just knew it was connected on boot and all I had to do was fill in the blanks.
I will look for that app and see if I can install it. Shouldn't be too hard.

P.S. I do agree with you about Ubuntu and Gnome, that's why I'm trying out AntiX. Love it so far. It works great on my Wireless here at home and my Girlfriends DSL in town. I live in the woods and it's often hard to connect by wireless and on the road the AT&T works great.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
lupgaru
I did find an app called Network Manager here,
url was:"http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/"
linktext was:"http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false it's the one used by Ubuntu, Debian and others. How would I go about installing it? I'm pretty sure I can find out in the guides but is there an easy way?
Thanks Again