lcafiero
Okay, I realize that this may have been addressed somewhere already, and forgive me for not being able to find it. And I know the answer is embarrassingly simple, but I have to ask.

I am running AntiX 6.5 on a Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop -- running very well as a matter of fact -- but I keep getting the Antix Tips spash message when I start up. I did was I was told in Tip 9 (I think it was 9): remove the first line in Fluxbox/File/Editiring/Apps and saved. Next time I boot, there's the spash message again.

[I even went into ~/.fluxbox/apps with Nano to see if the line was still there, and it wasn't. Is that the right file?]

So . . . what did I do wrong?

Larry Cafiero
HeliOS Solutions West
Felton, California, U.S.A.
Bringing FOSS to the Redwoods

P.S. -- This is an excellent distro. My hat is off to anticapitalista and the rest of the crew who put this out out and, yeah, I'll be updating to Lysistrata soon enough.
Last edited by lcafiero on 22 Nov 2007, 02:42, edited 2 times in total.
malanrich
I don't recall this being handled elsewhere, and I had the same experience (also on a Dell laptop--probably means nothing). I'm still running 6.5 on one box (not sure how many others still are).

I solved the problem--but, as usual, I can't remember now what I did (!). In my case, I'd modify the Apps file then find that (a) I'd reopen and the modification would not have"stuck" or (b) I'd reopen and the first line would still be gone...only to reappear at rebooting. Again, memory is hazy. Finally, the edit worked and I've never had the problem since. Maybe there's a tiny bug in antiX 6.5. I dunno.

I'm thinking now that I may have opened and edited Apps as su. If you haven't tried that yet, give it a whirl.
lcafiero
Malanrich --

That's the ticket -- going into Nano and taking out the line from ~/.fluxbox/apps as su (that's the key point). I tried signing in as root and doing it from the menu (right click, Fluxbox/File/Editing/Apps), but that didn't work.

So the solution seems to be doing it from the shell as su.

Thanks.

Larry Cafiero
HeliOS Solutions West
Felton, California, U.S.A.
Bringing FOSS to the Redwoods
malanrich
Excellent. Glad it worked for you. (It's the little victories that make the day worthwhile).