APOLLO
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of antiX and Linux in general. I have successfully installed antiX v7.5 on my two desktops within VMware. My laptop however is giving me a lot of trouble. It seems to install fine but after the reboot it just hangs before any data is displayed. I tried many virtual configurations to get it working, but no success so far. Mepis 7 installed fine on this machine in VMware and can't understand why antiX won't. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as my desktop antiX installations are concerned, I am trying to get samba configured to have my Windows machines access its shares, but I'm lost as how to get this accomplished. I followed some threads on this forum but with little Linux experience it's proving more of a headache than it seems worth. My Mepis 7 installation went without a hitch to get its samba shares recognized, but antiX is a whole different ballgame. Any help here would also be appreciated.

Also, I installed two filemanagers with synaptic but I cannot seem to find where they are. How do we locate installed applications and execute them? Some of these questions may seem rudimentary but I installed many versions of Linux including numerous Ubuntu flavors, SUSE, Mepis, etc and they seemed pretty straightforward. I would like to use antiX because of its very light footprint and potential performance on older systems.

Thanks in advance.
OU812
At the"grub" menu - when you choose which os to launch, try adding some"cheatcodes" at the end. For laptops, try adding these:

acpi=off noscsi

As for newly installed programs, fluxbox and icewm menus don't get automatically updated when you add software. There are some posts in the forums for"updating" fluxbox menus by hand, so search for those. For icewm, there may be a way to update by hand, but I'd have to do some research first. In the meantime, you can usually do this: open a terminal and enter the package name of the program you wish to run.

john
Jerry
On newly installed apps: down at the bottom of the Menu is an entry"All apps" (that points to /usr/share/apps) and will give you access to anything installed into /usr/bin and /usr/sbin (but not, for instance, /usr/games).
eriefisher
OU812 wrote: For icewm, there may be a way to update by hand, but I'd have to do some research first.
john
Updating the IceWM menu is very similar to fluxbox. You provided the means in the control center. The syntax is different than fluxbox but very easy to follow and understand.

To start an app without a menu entry I would use the run command rather than the terminal, which is in both wm menus and also with a keystroke.
APOLLO
OU812 wrote:At the"grub" menu - when you choose which os to launch, try adding some"cheatcodes" at the end. For laptops, try adding these:

acpi=off noscsi
The problem is the OS freezing before the grub menu. This happens right after the reboot upon installation completion. I can't do anything except reinstall but this just ends up leading to the same problem.
OU812
For automatic icewm menu updates, this is the best I can do without installing additional apps, etc.:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/icewm-t696-30.html#p6285"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/icewm-t696-30.html#p6285"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

john