topic title: Printing on antiX
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Just wondering how many of you use printing on antiX and if so how often and on what ie desktop or laptop?

I never print from the desktop/laptop (ink is too expensive) so if I need something printed (air tickets for example) I put the files on a usb stick and print them round the corner from me for 0.03c/page (Euro cents).

For larger documents, I try and get them done at work.
SamK
Print here quite frequently. Don't have the option to print at work. No print shop locally.

Print from both desktop and laptop systems. antiX-13 on a laptop is often attached to the LAN and used as a networked print server to cabled HP Printer.

For the future, a currently unused thin-client machine will be set up in console mode and act as a permanent LAN print server. Its ideal for this purpose when partnered with a lightweight OS.
dolphin_oracle
I print all the time...mostly for homework related reasons or my hobbies (sometimes you can't beat a hardcopy).

If you are thinking of leaving cups off the next iso... an expanded entry in metapackage-installer would be a good thing.
Aleph
I print sometimes.
dolphin_oracle wrote: If you are thinking of leaving cups off the next iso... an expanded entry in metapackage-installer would be a good thing.
Yes.
Shay
Shay
dolphin_oracle wrote:I print all the time...mostly for homework related reasons or my hobbies (sometimes you can't beat a hardcopy).

If you are thinking of leaving cups off the next iso... an expanded entry in metapackage-installer would be a good thing.
Pretty much what I do also. And yes, I agree with the expanded entry in metapackage-installer would be a good thing.
bdp1
Routinely.

And a simple black/white laser printer would save you some time if you have to leave home to print. Get an office-grade printer which costs more up front but has larger/cheaper toner costs. Laser printers also have the benefit that they don't dry up and clog if you don't use them for a while.

If there's a kid around, a color laser printer is worth it when it comes to printing kid activity sheets and such.
masinick
I don't necessarily print"often", but I do have a HP Envy 4502 home office printer and I do use it occasionally from Linux systems and I have used it 3-4 times so far in 2017
hobbyist7890
hobbyist7890
I recommend a PostScript laser printer for any linux.

My first printer for linux was a PostScript ink jet. Then I switched to a PostScript laser. I occasionally take a USB drive with pdf files to the print shop. Most of the time my network laser printer attached to the WiFi router does all of my printing. There has never been a problem. I don't use CUPS because I just send a PostScript file to the printer's network port.

There are ways to create the .ps file automatically except I prefer to convert anything to PostScript manually. I mostly use the Firefox 'print to pdf or ps' and the xpdf or pdf2ps commands. The ghostscript can convert most anything to PostScript with the correct CLI command while the ImageMagic can also do the same thing for images with point and click except without the degree of control.

Creating PostScript is very similar to creating a pdf typically needed by a print shop.
Rademes
I print all the time, currently not on antiX, but on another PC in my home. I use Samsung SCX-3405F Laser printer, where toners can be refilled, so printing is very cheap.
Also I use
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.epson.eu/products/printers/inkjet-printers/consumer/epson-l110"
linktext was:"Epson L110"
====================================
ink printer, which offers the cheapest ink printing available, because it does not use ink cartridges, but ink bottles: 4 bottles - 70 ml of ink in each bottle.
url was:"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-CMYK-Refill-Ink-Set-T6641-T6642-T6643-T6644-For-L110-L120-L210-L355-L555-/172171565933?hash=item2816399b6d:g:TRUAAOSweW5VgNiH"
linktext was:"4 original EPSON bottles"
with 280 ml ink cost approximately US $38.20 which is very cheap for ink printing. For instance, in previous CANON printer I had to pay 28$ for 4 cartridges with 40 ml ink. Feel the difference?
But, if you need to print A LOT, you can buy
url was:"http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L-InkTec-Tinte-refill-ink-fur-Epson-EcoTank-ET-4550-L100-L110-L1300-L200-L210-/201701948934?hash=item2ef65f7e06:g:hfcAAOSwSdZWfsDL"
linktext was:"4 litres of ink"
!
In nearest future, I am planning to install Epson L110 on antiX-16.