Printer does not print despite showing up as completed in q

jj3
Hi,

I have a strange problem. I have a deskjet f4180. I added the printer but when I try to print nothing happens. The job shows up in the queue and goes from"processing" to"completed" but the printer does not do anything at all. There is nothing wrong with the printer -- works fine with other laptops. The same problem occurs with another deskjet printer.

Some other (possibly irrelevant) details:

1) I had some trouble adding the printer. I would receive a message saying"cups authorization cancelled" despite submitting the root password. If I recall correctly the problem was solved when I ran the add print dialog as root.

2) When I go to"Properties" I receive an error message:"Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited."

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
jj3
Fixed it by installing"hplip" and then running the program"hp-setup" from the terminal.
jdmeaux1952
I myself have noticed that if the printer is NOT connected during installation, the printer will default to PDF Print. Once the printer is installed, the default DOES NOT change (it stays PDF Printer). Use Synaptic to install"hplip" and associated programs. Running"hp-setup" should solve the driver problem for the HP printer. But be aware that the HP printer may not be installed as DEFAULT.