Kogomo
At this time 16.2 is the current version. If version 17 is finally released, will we be able to dist-upgrade or have reinstall; do you anticipate any problems going from 16 straight to 17?
AntiX-17-b3 look great so for. GG.
I use JWM as a manager which I like.
Auto-Mounting is still my problem, suspect its just my inexperience or lack of attention span to learn this in Anti-X.

This is my Laptop I got from Shopgoodwill at $22.50+11 shipping and handling HP G42-415DX .. works great except no boot from USB function. Its in bios but not in boot options. Have to use a CD.
The HDMI port works so I can watch my TV shows and use Kodi..if I can ever figure it out.

MX-16 team should be congratulated. It looks and runs well, even auto-mounts. (need a small cd version)

Do miss Mepis, wish I would have looked W.W. up in Austin during SXSW. :mrgreen:

Do I have a question in here, yes,"Will we be able to go from stable 16 to stable 17 without total reformat. I have not as of yet added anything extra to 16.2 except a dist-upgrade."
Last edited by Kogomo on 09 Sep 2017, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
BitJam
Kogomo wrote:Auto-Mounting is still my problem, suspect its just my inexperience or lack of attention span to learn this in Anti-X.
Can you tell us about the problem(s) you are having? For my usage patterns auto-mounting just gets in the way. I realize that many other people find it very useful.
works great except no boot from USB function. Its in bios but not in boot options. Have to use a CD.
If you make a live-usb anyway either from the same iso that created the live-cd or by running live-usb-maker (gui or cli) after you boot from the live-cd then if you plug the live-usb in before you boot from the live-cd and use the F4 --> from=usb option in the bootloader menu then we will finish the boot from the live-usb which (with usb-2 or usb-3) is much faster than the cd and you also get all of our special live-usb features. This is a available in antiX-16 and antiX-17.
Will we be able to go from stable 16 to stable 17 without total reformat. I have not as of yet added anything extra to 16.2 except a dist-upgrade.
I don't know. Others here do know. My guess is it will be easier, faster, and better to do a fresh install.
Kogomo
TY BitJam but
wow that usb answer.. ill need to re-read that a few times but it will sink in..
ty.
BitJam
  1. Make a live-usb using the same source used for the live-cd
  2. Have that live-usb plugged in when you boot from the live-cd
  3. Select F4 -->"from=usb" in the bootloader
  4. We will finish the boot on the live-usb!
An easy way to create the live-usb is to boot the live-cd and run the live-usb-maker program. It will offer to"clone" your running live system. Do that. Then reboot with the live-usb still plugged in. Choose the F4 --> from=usb option. VoilĂ !

So here are the combined instructions:
  1. Boot the live-cd
  2. Plug in a usb stick that we can over-write
  3. Run live-usb-maker and selected"clone" mode
  4. Leave the usb-stick plugged in and reboot
  5. Select F4 -->"from=usb" in the bootloader
  6. Live-usb goodness ensues
It might be best not to think about it too deeply and just try to follow the instructions.

Extra Credit

If you have a spare 1 Gig or so on a partition on your internal hard-drive then you could select the F5 --> Frugal option instead. We will copy the contents of the live-cd to a single directory on a partition you choose and then boot off of it. If you select F5 --> Frugal on your next boot then we will skip the copy step and just boot from that internal drive. We rely on the live-cd bootloader so this is very safe and won't interfere with the OS (or data or whatever) on your internal drive as long as you have 1 Gig or so of space we can use. IMO, this is the easiest and fastest way possible to install Linux to a hard drive. Starting with a usb-3 live-usb on a fast machine, I can be running the installed system in 30 seconds from when I first booted. No reboot is needed. The normal live boot on that machine takes about 10 seconds. The extra 20 seconds is for me to select the partition and to have the contents of the live-usb copied over.
Kogomo
eeeeeeee
Kogomo
Done the CD way....works great even thru HDMI. We are GTG for now.
Kogomo
Now lets hope we can just dist-upgrade to 17 when released.
Kogomo
It did auto mount my usb key with my music which is an improvenment, TY Anti...
Next I will install samba and try to network to my Windows 10 machine.
Kogomo
Well after install of 16 and an upgrade it all went south. Terminal shrunk, lost wifi and HDMI...
so I am now on the 17 beta. Ill start a new post.
Kogomo
Closed? I dont know how to mark it.....