nujinini
Hi!

Somebody wants me to replace the Ubuntu in his old netbook since he finds it a little slow. I recommended Anti-X and he was OK with the idea but I just have to clear some things first, if you may.

For word processor we have abiword
For Spreadsheet we have gnumeric
What software can we install on Anti-X as an alternative to Powerpoint please?

He basically uses it to play music and project lyrics using a DLP projector.

Aside from some surfing and emails, I guess thats the bulk of its use.

Thanks
plvera
I have worked with the Open office version of Powerpoint: Impress. It's much like Powerpoint so that if he's used to that, he'll find the transition easy. Not sure if you have to download the entire Open office or just install Impress.

Another alternative, is to use latex to create"slides" in a pdf format, which can then be run on any platform. This works pretty well and creates small files. The problem is the learning curve in latex. There are many templates and options available so it's very flexible.

A third alternative, and closer to the first, is the use of xsw

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://code.google.com/p/xsw/"
linktext was:"http://code.google.com/p/xsw/"
====================================

I've tested this software in my box and it works pretty well. It does not offer very many alternatives, so it will feel restricted compared to Open Office or latex, but it works well.

I hope this helps.

Pedro

PS. If space is not an issue, and you decide to go with Impress you could install all of Open Office, remove Abiword and gnumeric since you will have the complete office suite.
dolphin_oracle
depending on the format of the slides, you might could use imagination, which is included. But I suspect Open Office Impress will be what he wants. Its in the repos and runs just fine on antix. There is an impress-only package, which will also pull down any dependencies.
nujinini
dolphin_oracle wrote:... But I suspect Open Office Impress will be what he wants.YES Its in the repos and runs just fine on antix. There is an impress-only package, which will also pull down any dependencies.
Thank you guys!

If I can get Impress without getting the other Open Office Word & Spreadsheet versions. and use gnumeric & abiword instead. It's going to be perfect __{{emoticon}}__

nujinini