RobertLM78
While I carry a criticism (which may wind up having been mostly my fault), I will start with some praises, as I am mostly quite pleased with this distro. I am new to AntiX but an experienced Linux user, though primarily LinuxMint.

I am very impressed with AntiX's light requirements and high, simple, flexibility. As I have mostly old hardware, and am fairly thus far impressed, this distro may well become my primary distro for those machines.

A few details - Antix 16.2, 32-bit on a Dell Latitude D400 with Pentium M processor with 1 GB RAM.

I've got a handful of questions, as the title suggests:
1) I've been adding some options to a couple of menu items in ~/.icewm/menu-applications. Every time I install a package, the tweaks I make disappear and the file reverts to it's original form. For example, I change the default command line for Octave to be 'octave --force-gui' (without quotes of course) and add the '--new-window' switch to pluma. Those dissappear whenever I install a package, however they do seem to stay session to session.
So, how do I make these changes persistent after installing packages? Through prefoverride? I would also like to add a couple of launchers to the menu, and I suspect those would disappear too.

2) I just installed it, but I just want to ask if there is anything special I need to do to set up Samba shares? (Linux Mint had/has an issue where you had to 'forceuser' in order to get shares to mount remotely).

3) I'd like to add the GetDeb repository, which was down for a time, but seems to be back up, though I can't seem to get the package list to update for Jessie. (There are some really good packages in there that I'd hate to pass up if I move to this distro)

And to the thing that upset me so much I almost moved on from the distro - though as I mentioned it may have been my fault. I had somehow wound up with Fluxbox on a couple install attempts (as opposed to IceWM+Rox(?), which I really like). Well, I got a bit annoyed with that nonsense, and thought I'd just update to the next Mint version... well it turns out I cannot boot any other distro at all any more. Now here's where I think it may have been my fault - I suspect the reason is that on one of the installation attempts, I installed GRUB to MBR (and this machine is not UEFI :-/) - now the criticism - that should not have been an option for a 32-bit machine, IMO. But the important thing is, how do I rectify this situation? While I do like AntiX very much, and am probably going to stick with it for this machine (and maybe even use it on my 64-bit machine with 8 GB RAM), it is absolutely critical that I have the option of doing something else at a later date.

Heheh - Incidentally I'd found AntiX to give life to an old desktop machine I got with a P4 and 512 MB, though that install went smoothly - must have been beginner's luck __{{emoticon}}__

Also, just remembering, it seems I haven't had a lot of luck using Google/Startpage finding things on AntiX (hit and miss at best) - might I do better to search the forums directly?

Well, thanks for reading - really enjoying AntiX so far. (The default desktop reminds me a bit of Syallable OS __{{emoticon}}__ )
Shay
I use
How to search for a solution when you have a AntiX problem
how-to-search-for-a-solution-when-you-have-a-antix-problem-t5387.html
RobertLM78
Shay wrote:I use
How to search for a solution when you have a AntiX problem
how-to-search-for-a-solution-when-you-have-a-antix-problem-t5387.html
Thanks! I am aware of that method - long before reading the post __{{emoticon}}__
Still have had trouble - though if there's something that can be done to bork things that's never been done, I'll probably do it. __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
RobertLM78 wrote:I would also like to add a couple of launchers to the menu, and I suspect those would disappear too.
Menu Manager handles this by placing items in the Personal section of the main menu, and the items are persistent.

A video of how to use Menu Manager is available in various ways. It can be viewed without using a web browser to avoid the possibility of degrading performance by overloading low powered kit.

Try clicking
Personal-->Personal Menu Help Video

Other locally installed sources of info:
  • Help-->antiX-->antiX FAQ
  • Help-->antiX-->antiX Video
    Tip: in the video section, read the intro by dolphin_oracle which outlines how to use Streamlight. This will enable you to watch antiX and other Youtube videos without using a heavyweight web browser. It works just fine on modern kit but is particularly well suited to older less powerful systems.
Online version of antiX FAQ

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-16/FAQ/index.html"
linktext was:"http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/doc ... index.html"
====================================
RobertLM78
Thanks Sam! Very good information. I actually just noticed that video shortcut last night, but was reluctant to try it out just yet for the reason you mentioned. I'll try it out with GNOME player. For the moment I'm trying out SeaMonkey, though by and large this system is more for developing with x86 FreeBASIC than doing any web browsing.

Looks as though I have more homework __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
RobertLM78 wrote:I'll try it out with GNOME player.
You do not need to specify a player. Simply clicking on the entry in the Personal section will automatically open the linked video using MPV which is shipped in antiX-Full. The mechanism that it uses is the same as the Streamlight app, which is why I pointed you towards reading about it as your first port of call. Streamlight can be used with or without a web browser and so can be used from within a browser or other app that does not natively support playing videos.
RobertLM78 wrote: For the moment I'm trying out SeaMonkey, though by and large this system is more for developing with x86 FreeBASIC than doing any web browsing.
In that case the two extremely lightweight GUI web browsers (Dillo and Links 2) that ship in antiX-Full might fill your requirements. Neither are fully featured (compared to the current crop of popular heavyweight browsers) but either can get a job done and both are able to be used with Streamlight.
Kogomo
Wow the forums are beginning to sound like Debian Forums or Gentoo.... we used to be a very helpful and friendly group. Maybe that was back when Mepis had the fishtank in the taskbar.
Kogomo
I'm almost afraid to ask a question. Where did our helpful spirit go?
skidoo
Kogomo wrote:
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post49210.html#p49210"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post49210.html#p49210"

I am no newby been usin g Mephis sine it had a fish tank. My new laptop came w/W10 and some kind` of secure boot. I can turn on lwgacy boot but still not complete an install.
It's a chore to maintain"spirit" when folks can't even be bothered to proofread
and, more often than not...

url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post52764.html#p52764"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post52764.html#p52764"

17-B3 CPU usage in rest is 7%
16.2 CPU in rest is 4%

Can i change?
do not (cannot?) provide sufficiently detailed help requests, written in clear English...
or
they neglect to read (choose to ignore) the provided FAQ/docs
somehow wound up with Fluxbox on a couple install attempts

I've noticed (learned) that topics which start poorly... will likely end poorly, ala:
nvrmind i just
unistall and wented to back ubunto and so ok bye
Dave
For question 1 I think SamK pointed you at the correct option by using the personal menu, you could also write your own submenu in the root menu if you would like. The personal menu and the applications menus are set to build/update/generate automatically so you do not need to do it manually for every application. The personal side I think is to allow a more"friendly" way to make a custom menu than editing the menu files. The root menu does not auto update, so any changes to that menu will stay.

For question 2 I think you should be OK to mount / browse a samba share through spacefm, though through rox you will need to mount manually the share or use the connect shares program. If you would like to host a share, then you will need to install the samba server using synaptic/apt/apt-get though the system setup may be a package in the metapackage installer as well which seems to be the easiest way to install.

For question 3 I am not certain what the repo url would be but you would take the url, make a new file under /etc/apt/apt-list.d/ and put the url line in it.

I am not sure about the last bit with grub, if you install to the mbr and want to install a different distro then you should be able to rewrite the other distros boot loader to the mbr. If you are trying to dual boot then you should be able to see the other installed distro after running update-grub as root in antiX. If that does not work you may need to use grub-customizer or edit the files in /etc/grub/ to include the other distro. What I have found to work when you need to do that is to start antix, Mount the other distro's root partition, view the grub entry and copy it to the antiX grub files.

As to having fluxbox accidentally, you may have selected it at the bootloader screen on live with an f key, or via the Desktops --> other Desktops menu which would carry over to your install. After install you can still make the choices in the Desktops --> other Desktops menu or by pressing"f1" at the login screen and the last one you use it will remember.