PLOP linux

Eperbab

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.plop.at/en/home.html"
linktext was:"Plop linux"
====================================
has a minimum system requirement of i486 compatible CPU with 64 MB RAM.

More interestingly, it has two
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html"
linktext was:"boot managers"
====================================
wich give you the option to boot from usb or CD whitout BIOS support.
It may happen, that you would like to install AntiX on a PC without a CD-rom, wich doesn't support boot from usb. I didn't try it, and don't know if there is a better bootmanager to achieve this. Share your comments.
dolphin_oracle
I've had a lot of success using a plop floppy disk on an older sony laptop. Used it to boot usb when the laptop otherwise wouldn't. I've also booted virtualbox with a plop iso cd image so that I could test liveUSB sticks, as virtualbox doesn't support boot from usb either. I'm a big fan!
BitJam
We boot from usb without BIOS support already. If the usb comes up quickly then it will just happen automatically. If not, then adding a"from=usb" boot code will ensure that we wait for the usb device (otherwise we find the LiveCD but not the LiveUSB so just we boot from the LiveCD). The kernel on the LiveCD must match the kernel on the LiveUSB for this to work.

I don't understand how PLOP could boot from usb on a system that can't boot from either CD or usb. Maybe I misunderstood:
install AntiX on a PC without a CD-rom, wich doesn't support boot from usb.
If there is no CD-ROM and you can't boot from usb then how do you boot?

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood. I'm quite good at that.
rust collector
floppy?
Eperbab
Yes, the site says it has a floppy version, wich can chainload usb/cd even if boot from usb/cd isn't supported.
SamK
This tip might be of interest add-boot-via-usb-to-ancient-kit-after-antix-is-installed-t4501.html
thriftee
BitJam wrote:We boot from usb without BIOS support already. If the usb comes up quickly then it will just happen automatically. If not, then adding a"from=usb" boot code will ensure that we wait for the usb device (otherwise we find the LiveCD but not the LiveUSB so just we boot from the LiveCD). The kernel on the LiveCD must match the kernel on the LiveUSB for this to work.

I don't understand how PLOP could boot from usb on a system that can't boot from either CD or usb. Maybe I misunderstood:
install AntiX on a PC without a CD-rom, wich doesn't support boot from usb.
If there is no CD-ROM and you can't boot from usb then how do you boot?

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood. I'm quite good at that.
Some older computers have USB but don't have a bios option to boot from it, and in the case of mine, the DVD drive is flaky, and since it has a floppy drive and is able to boot from it, I either use Rufus or Unetbootin to burn a USB flash drive of the ISO, and a Plop boot floppy that gives me the option to redirect the boot process to continue with whatever is on the USB flashdrive. It works with Rufus about 90% of the distros, and with Unetbootin about 5%, and there are a few that just don't like it.