Shakadamus
Hi, new guy here.

Basically I've looked around and found this fix to increase the cache size:

Code: Select all

root@conors-laptop:/home/conor# leafpad /ect/apt/apt.conf
But when it opens Leafpad it's just a blank document, I've also tried it through gksu but with no success. Was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand.

Thanks!
rokytnji
Just curious. Did you open Rox or PCmanFM and go to /ect/apt/apt.conf and see if you even have one there first before trying to edit it?

If You don't have one. I'll boot up my AntiX 8.5 and post mine for you to install, use, and edit.

Happy Trails, Rok

P.S. Your command should not have opened a empty file unless you made a typo if it is there. You will need to be root to edit it also. I am also thinking that when you go to /ect/apt/apt.conf using which ever file manager. You should open it as text and look inside. Maybe it is a blank file (never heard of that happening, but who knows?)

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=196125&postcount=7"
linktext was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showpost. ... ostcount=7"
====================================
Shakadamus
Well I feel like a fool! Just looked at what I pasted out of the Terminal into the post and realised the typo, only problem is now it's kicking out a segmentation fault after I put in the command.
rokytnji
problem is now it's kicking out a segmentation fault after I put in the command
Sheesh. Better minds than mine will have to reply to that statement.

I don't have the skills to reply to that.
rokytnji
I booted up my antiX2usb 8.5 persistent XFCE SD card since I am on the Acer Aspire One ZG5 right now. here is what my /etc/apt/apt.conf looks like in it.

Code: Select all

APT::Default-Release"mepis";
APT::Cache-Limit 40000000;
APT::Get::Purge;
APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated 0;
Acquire::cdrom::Mount"/media/cdrom";
I guess you can backup your original /etc/apt/apt.conf and make a new one using mine and saving it in /etc/apt
secipolla
Just rename the file and leave it there as a backup. There's no need to create a new one.
Shakadamus
I managed to sort it, I edited it with Nano and got no problems.
Thanks for the help.