dln9
I am trying to install antix on a computer with a wireless connection. I cannot get the wireless connection to work. I have tried reading the massive amounts of information available on this topic, but there is too much information out there - I don't know what the truth is. I don't know what the steps are I should follow to make this work.

Here are the details:

antix 8.5, running off live CD

AMD Duron

Linksys Wireless-G USB WUSB54G version 4 (works just fine on this same computer while running #! Crunchbang Linux)

As I said, I'm sorry for having to ask this question - but there are simply too many"documents" out there, I've been plowing through them for hours, and at this point my head is just spinning from all the information, most of which I don't know what they're talking about. (What I think I need is one authoritative place I can go to that says, First do this, then do this, then try this, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

dln9
plvera
Hello dln9

To set up your wireless in Antix, first open Control center (right click on screen for menu or it's one of the icons in bottom left of the task bar) then go to Network.

You can try wicd or"Configure Network Interfaces". Either one should pick up your wireless card and you have to configure your settings ( for example, passphrase).

Try either one of those two. Post any questions you have.

Good luck and Welcome to Antix!
dln9
Thank you kind sir!!

I tried what you said. I configured stuff via the"Network Interfaces (ceni)". It eventually strated scrolling through a whole bunch of messages. I first recognized something must be wrong when it started displaying messages like this:

DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval xy

the values of xy were 6, 15, 17, and 18

Then it said:

receive_packet failed on wlan0: network is down

I don't know why it said that, all other computers in the house were successfully connected wirelessly.

It also said this:

No working leases in persistent in database - sleeping

So, I don't know how to interpret this stuff. Thanks again in advance for help in knowing what I ought to do next.
plvera
In a terminal, type:

inxi -F

and please post the output. That wil tell us information about your system and what type of wireless card you have. I'm sure someone will be able to offer some help.
dln9
Here is the output:

demo@antix1:~$inxi -F
System: Host antix1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX/M8.5 Marek Edelman 11 April 2010 CPU: single core AMD Duron (UP) cache 64 KB flags (-) bmips 1503.14 clocked at 751.271 MHz
graphics: Card nVidia NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] X.org 1.6.5 RES: 1280x1024 @ 60.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1-DEVEL DIRECT Rendering Yes
Audio: Card VIA VT82c686 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio at ports 1000 1490 1494 Bus ID: 00:14.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Disks: HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (-) 1:/dev/sda QUANTUM_FIREBALL 30.0GB
Partition: id:/ size: 16M used: 101K (1%) fs: rootfs id: swap-1 size: 1.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 83 Uptime 10 min Memory 76.4/247.9MB Runlevel 5 client Shell inxi 1.4.9
demp@antix1:~$

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in this output that references the wireless card. (Yet, when I run the network configuration from the control center, it does"see" the wireless card.)
plvera
You are right. The card is not being detected. Do you know which card you are using? If so, perhaps we can find which drivers and/or modules might needed to be loaded in order to recognize the card.
dln9
Is this the"card" information you're asking about: Linksys Wireless-G USB WUSB54G version 4?

Also - I don't understand your theory that the card is not being detected (by antix?). I say this because when I run the network configuration from ceni, it recognizes it as Linksys Wireless-G USB WUSB54G version 4, it is listed.

Thanks again.
plvera
Yes, thanks. I'm sorry that I did not notice you had posted the information in your very first post.

I don't have an answer for you. I found a few links that may help, although some are a bit dated:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Linksys_WUSB54Gv4"
linktext was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... _WUSB54Gv4"
====================================

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.saschabeck.com/blog/2006/07/06/using-linksys-wusb54g-adapter-with-debian/"
linktext was:"http://www.saschabeck.com/blog/2006/07/ ... th-debian/"
====================================

I hope some one else has a better answer for you.

Good luck!