pinned ignorance (misinformation?) from the PClinuxOS forum

skidoo
I have a forum account there, but my few posts have brought dismissive, holier-than-thou"attitude" responses, not helpful replies.
Just found this"pinned" thread containing what seems to contain ignorant/misonformed advice (posted by admin!)

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,116819.0.html"
linktext was:"http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... 819.0.html"
====================================
June 04, 2013

"apt-get install --no-install-recommends somepackage"

Some people use the above command to install a package where many other packages are pulled in.
Haven't tried it with PCL but, for example, Thunar, used to pull in 300 MB's of other packages.
The above command would or should eliminate those extras from being included and just let Thunar be installed.
Old-Polack
Administrator

Without those"extra" packages the requested application won't work right, if at all. Bad move, that will lead to a borked system.
Maybe (extending His Holiness Of Borked the benefit of doubt here), maybe PClinuxOS package maintainers apply"tags" differently from debian convention.

For debian,"depends" is (or is supposed to be) distinctly different from"recommends".
Historically, debian package maintainers have too often abused"recommends" by unnecessarily (senselessly) tagging additional packages... and that's why, yes!
--no-install-recommends is an advisable / sane configuration directive.

( antiX sets this via /etc/apt/preferences so that we don't need to type --no-install-recommends during each apt-get install... )
( and, in synaptic, by default the tickbox labeled"treat recommended packages as dependencies" is UNchecked )
rokytnji
I could never get mini-me or whatever they called it back then to boot on my gear.
Besides being rpm dyslexic also, which is another weakness of mine.

So I ignored PCLOS though it peaked my interest for a couple of weeks.
Kinda like my Slitaz adventure.

They seem to do alright with what they have. So. I bet it is a distro file location thing layout.
So the info may not be irrelevant.

Kinda like when SolydXK devs. say,"Don't run Ubuntu PPA's in a SokydXK system/install! you'll shoot your eye out!"

or something to that effect anyways.