Silent Observer
My preferred browser is SeaMonkey -- to get which in 64-bit flavor requires installing a tarball. That's easy; decompress the tarball in /opt with"full path" option, and create a link to the executable. I then set up links in the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/profiles/<userprofile>/ folder to let multiple installations of SeaMonkey in different OS on the same physical machine share bookmarks, address book, history, password storage, and e-mail files.

What I'm finding though, is that in fluxbox (my preferred antiX interface), if I manually edit the fluxbox menu to insert links to SeaMonnkey browser and e-mail, those links work perfectly -- until I update the menu, which apparently happens automatically on login, meaning I lose my carefully hand edited menu entries every time I reboot (which I do regularly, because MEPIS is my main OS on this machine; I installed antiX mainly to be able to use Google Chrome and Pepper Flash). How can I make menu entries for a tarball application that will stay in the menu? Would I need to edit one of the submenu files instead of the complete menu?

Edit: Well, answered part of my own question; editing ~/.fluxbox/menu-applications (which is [include]ed in ~/.fluxbox/menu) is still automatically undone, apparently by auto-fluxbox-menu.sh. I have been able to change the (Web Browser) main menu entry and have it hold past a menu update, but I'd like to be able to put the links, with favicons, into the actual Internet submenu under Applications. I don't know that I have the scripting skill to make a change to the menu updater without breaking something important...
Last edited by Silent Observer on 20 Apr 2014, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Cooment out autoupdater in flux startup and your internet sub section edit will stick.

I mention this is editng the menu in the how to section.
Silent Observer
Okay, never mind -- found the menu entry under Tools, System, Add .desktop File, to create the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications (I'd previously tried copying/editing a .desktop file in the Rox Pinboard folder, without success). Having previous typed the command line and icon path for the browser and e-mail a good half dozen times each (and after figuring out I had to select"Network" category to get the entries to appear in the"Internet" submenu), it took literally less than a minute for each .desktop file.

FWIW, the self-same application (SeaMonkey) at the same resolution on the same hardware appears significantly faster even without the nVidia driver under antiX 13.2 testing than under Mepis 11 stable with nVidia; I can only presume it's due to not having the overhead of KDE eating up CPU cycles (antiX also runs the cpu meter down as low as 1% each on two of my four cores, while Mepis only gets down to 10-15% on two cores even if I stop BOINC).