topic title: openbox-session
secipolla
No fancy here, only to mention.

I installed lxde-core in antiX 8.5 but it failed to start due to xsession-errors related to PCManFM (it opens pcmanfm -d as a default desktop icon/background handler). In sid it works fine. I did it mostly to see what it was made of.
LXDE (full) can be useful for users that want a light desktop environment with a graphic session manager, task manager etc. but maybe it wouldn't add anything for a user used to antiX and its ways.
Just installing openbox and lxpanel, though, on the other hand, may be useful if one likes the simple but comprehensive menu approach or needs a better localization for the menu. I belive one could use lxpanel with IceWM (so no need to intall openbox) but I'm not sure (didn't test) if it could run independently from antiX fully customized IceWM, that is, by launching icewm instead of icewm-session.
OU812
icewm-session is needed so that the apps in the startup file will be launched. If you want to run icewm with lxpanel, just add"lxpanel &" to the startup file, and then edit the prefs file (or launch icewmcc) so that the icewm taskbar is not displayed. In fact, this would basically be the original configuration of lxde (before they went with openbox).

john
secipolla
Thanks, John. I noted that running only icewm didn't load the startup file. I was just wondering if for someone to have this basic setup one could use IceWM as the window manager without messing with its settings in antiX.
But further down the road LXDE will be a good option (it seems it doesn't even load in antiX with testing repos without fiddling around). I'm intending to install the latest Open SUSE milestone with it. It should have LXDM and PCManFM 0.9.x.
rokytnji
I don't think I ever posted a screenshot of my AntiX 8.5 core LXDE install. This is with the new Kernel 3.1.5-antix-586-smp. No Fan Amrel RT 786 EX Military Grade Laptop. I figured the OpenBox thread was appropriate for this screenshot.

My Winter Desktop
My Winter Desktop
rokytnji
Playing around with a different conky in Fluxbox with Tint2 in AntiX 8.5 (fluxbox only) still on this IBM T23

Conky on my screenshot can be had from
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=134471"
linktext was:"http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=134471"
====================================
tradetaxfree
tradetaxfree
For anyone who wants to play with Openbox I've attached a small archive to this post with the correct file structure for all the config & bin files. I borrowed the dmenu & bin scripts from Crunchbang. I also borrowed the XDG Menu Script from Fedora to auto update the applications menu (including icons - see screenshot below).

First install the dependencies:

Code: Select all

apt-get install openbox obconf obmenu tint2 suckless-tools
I also installed nitrogen / gmrun / scrot but you could use feh / gexec / antixscreenshot.sh which are already in antix. I also use pcmanfm-mod as my main file manager, so you may want to edit these 4 values in ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml & rc.xml , I also use
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://code.google.com/p/wbar/downloads/list"
linktext was:"wbar"
====================================
as a light Mac-like dock which is started in ~/.config/openbox/autostart

Shortcut keys are stored in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml:

ALT-Q = root menu
WindowsKey-E = leafpad
WindowsKey-F = file manager
WindowsKey-W = web browser
WindowsKey-V = gamix
WindowsKey-M = vlc

& many others besides
The files in the attached archive include the"." so are hidden from normal view - you just need to rename the folder"/home/change-to-your-username" & copy the files into /.
Osgeld
LXDE (full) can be useful for users that want a light desktop environment with a graphic session manager
I like LXDE ok enough, but I personally prefer XFCE, I dunno its just a handful of little minor annoyances in LXDE that are not present on XFCE, XF just feels more"finished" to me

2 cents, maybe worth 1