steve.the.goolie
Hi All!

Nice to be here.

I have just installed Antix 8 on an old laptop (Celeron 700 + 128Mb Ram) after trying the live CD which worked fine.

After installation however, I cannot configure a static IP or DNS in the Control Centre.
If I do the configuration via the Terminal, I can access my network no problem, but of course this disappears on reboot.

I have also edited the etc/network/interfaces file, but that too does not seem to persist.

In addition, I only have 800 x 600 screen resolution after install, but had 1024 X 768 when using the live CD.

Otherwise, I am mightily impressed with ANTIX, which replaces Win98se on my old laptop.

Steve
plvera
Hello Steve:

Welcome to Antix! What are you using to connect from Control Center? Try ceni or wicd, which have been very reliable for me.

As for the resolution, did you try the Screen resolution button in Control center? It's under Hardware > Set Screen Resolution. I haven't tried it myself with this monitor.

I hope this helps.

Pedro
steve.the.goolie
Hello Pedro,

Yes, I have tried the control centre but it does not work, and the screen resolution only gives choices up to 800 x 600, yet the live CD gave me the correct resolution of 1024 x 768.

I have tried switching to FLUXBOX and now I can configure the static IP I need, but it does not persist after reboot.

Steve
eriefisher
For resolution, as root edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. add the desired resolutions to the"modes" lines. It should have been detected during the install, go figure. Once edited just restart X.

For the connection issue, I have never found Mepis network to be reliable. As mentioned earlier I would use either wicd or ceni located via the control center.