joseph2020
New Antix user have used Linux for about 6 months mainly with Ubuntu and Mepis. Mepis is my all time fav. And Antix seems a lot like it except for some odd stuff I've never seen before, and that is why I am here.

I just installed Antix about 24 hours ago, and I have several questions, but I will ask one at a time to make it easy on myself. First and most important the gparted screen shows 3 partitions...hda1 ext3 9.77 gb 1.5 used /... hda2 linux-swap 1.12 gb ...hda3 ext3 /home 7.89 gb 286 mb used. I am very familiar with using gparted (I even have it on its own LiveCD version for emergencies). I have never seen that 3rd /home partition, it has always been just the / and the swap partitions. Now the problems is I am using a 20 gig disk drive, and this /home partition has been granted almost 1/2 of the disk space and it is only using 286 meg!

Do I really need to have a separate partition for /home? does the /home partition really need to be that big? can I just delete it and make the / partition bigger or just make the /home smaller like maybe 2 gig and use the rest for /.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
When you installed, you probably chose the custom option which set it up that way.

Some believe that a separate /home partition is a must ie to keep data separate so it is easy to save and if an install is necessary, or something goes wrong with the root partition, you'll still be able to access your data.
Personally, I prefer not having a separate /home partition, but a separate data partition where I keep all my important files.

If you want to just have root and swap, then you will need to reinstall and use the custom option (best to use gparted to set up the partitions first).
It really does depend on what you will be doing. If you envisage doing a lot of video or saving lots of data then keep the /home as it is. If you want to install lots of apps, then maybe you would need a bigger /root.
secipolla
1,5 GB is a bit too little, even for antiX. You could just resize it to, say 4 or 4,5 GB.

The difference of a separate /home instead of just your data in a separate partition is that if you reinstall keeping your original separate /home all the apps settings will still be there. Since you already set this way I think you could just keep it, it's not bad.
joseph2020
anticapitalista, Thank you for your reply. Not sure of your meaning here though:
When you installed, you probably chose the custom option which set it up that way.
and
If you want to just have root and swap, then you will need to reinstall and use the custom option
Confusing...are these 2 statements contradictory?

I am absolutely sure I chose to use the entire partition for Antix, as that is the way I always install Linux, and I remember gparting the disk so there was nothing but unallocated space. Regardless, I will try it again. thank you.

secipolla, thank you for your response.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Whoops sorry. The first time was auto-install. You should use custom if you want to reinstall.