theZoid
I updated to driver 185.x.x from the nvidia site, and my desktop is a speed demon now. With the 177.x driver gnome was taking 15 seconds to come up and be usable. Fluxbox was very good either. I'm using a full gnome desktop on Antix 8.2 base.

For those that who desktops launch slowly, this could be it. FWIW __{{emoticon}}__
JawsThemeSwimming428
I had an issue with that driver as well as the 180 driver. 185 works fine with my machine. My issue was on my desktop with an Nvidia Geforce 8600GT. With Ubuntu installed, it would boot and go to a black screen. Couldn't drop to a console session, couldn't get out of anything. Might be a driver issue and not really related that much to antiX, not sure though.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Glad to hear and hope this helps others. You know there is a great script in antiX called smxi which can install all graphics directly and easily. The graphics one is called sgfxi. Exit X, login as root, run sgfxi and follow the instructions.
theZoid
anticapitalista wrote:Glad to hear and hope this helps others. You know there is a great script in antiX called smxi which can install all graphics directly and easily. The graphics one is called sgfxi. Exit X, login as root, run sgfxi and follow the instructions.
Thanks...I did that from console and ignored the gcc warning, but everything is running great (till I break it) __{{emoticon}}__

I'll check out that script I keep hearing about....I'm still getting my feet wet with Antix....man, I'd love to see a version for higher end hardware....because it's so flexible.