J2R
I have an old PII machine with 96Mb RAM and a 4Gb which I want to use as a print server on my network. I tried out Xubuntu which was a little too heavy for the hardware, so I wiped it and installed Antix M7.01 instead, which is much nippier. I'm having a problem with printing, though - it's not detecting my USB printer (which Xubuntu did fine). I go to Admin/Tools -> Printing -> Printer setup, New Printer. When I select Local Printer, Use a detected printer, it tells me that there are 'No printers detected'. If I go to 'Use another printer by specifying a port', the only option given is 'SCSI printer', which is bit of a mystery on a non-SCSI PC. Have I missed out some stage, or is there some other way of getting my printer set up? Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello

Make sure the printer is connected and on and then reboot.
In a terminal lsusb to see if it gets detected.
If it does, then try setting it up through the cups interface and browser.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://localhost:631/"
linktext was:"http://localhost:631/"
====================================
J2R
Sorry, this was a bit of a red herring. The problem was that USB was not working at all, as a result of my choice of startup option from the CD. I am using an LCD monitor, not CRT, and all but one of the options gave me an 'Input signal out of range' message. The minimal one allowed me to boot OK but also had the undesired side effect of 'nousb'. I have found that if I just leave one of the others long enough it does in fact get me to a visible login prompt.

Is there some way of setting things so that I boot from CD with a vertical refresh rate of 60Hz? I presume this is what is causing the monitor problems (its native resolution is 1280x1024).
J2R
Hmm, I spoke too soon. antiX can see the connected printer now but can't print to it. I set everything up with the right driver, etc., but then when I go to print a test page, it says printing, then says printing stopped, with the job remaining unprinted, and the printer never springing into life.

I'm also a little puzzled about where I configure such stuff as whether or not the printer is shared. This was possible in Xubuntu, so I'm wondering whether I need to install some other aspect of CUPS in antiX.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm keen to persevere with this distro as it's nice and lean and fast, just what I need for the old hardware it's on.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What printer do you have?

You might need to add extra printing apps. Here is a link to a list I needed (see my post)

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/dillo-crashes-t434.html#2186"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/dillo-crash ... .html#2186"
====================================
eriefisher
This sounds like a simple driver issue. Post the make and model of your printer and we should be able to point you to the correct driver. Not a lot of drivers came on the disc so you may need to add them.

eriefisher
J2R
I'm testing it with an Epson Stylus Photo 1200 (which is just what I happen to have here at home) but where I'm deploying it, it will be an HP LaserJet 2200. I'll install the stuff that anticapitalista suggested and report back.

Thanks for the help!