sobremore
Hi, Everybody!

It is ThinkPad T41, Antix 13.2 with 3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp kernel.
As I wrote in subject the actual version of Skype has no sound but the earlier one has!
It's"Options/Sound Devices" shows only"Virtual Device" without any other possibilities.
The older version uses"Default Device (default" for"Microphne" and"Ringing" and :"sysdefault (unknown)" for"Speakers" with options for changing them if it is needed.

I'll be realy greatful if someone helps me make it"talking" __{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
as of the 4.3 series, you need to use pulseaudio with skype.

Packages to install: pulseaudio + all recommends (pulseaudio-module-x11 , rtkit, and gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio) and pavucontrol from the suggests list.

pulseaudio works on top of the default alsa sound system. It works fairly well, and is a default installed item in a lot of distros. There is a small hiccup with the antiX volume control icon. once pulse is installed, you will want to add"pulseaudio --start" and"sleep 2" to your startup file BEFORE the entry for volumeicon, like this:

Code: Select all

pulseaudio --start
sleep 2
volumeicon &
sobremore
Thank You dolphin_oracle for quick answer.
I want to tryout your advice but I am wondering should I be able to deinstall pulseaduio without any side effect? As I can remeber it never worked well on my computers...
Thanks in advance.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Unfortunately the latest skype will only work with sound using pulseaudio. However, it is possible to keep alsa and use that for all other audio.
dolphin_oracle
sobremore wrote:Thank You dolphin_oracle for quick answer.
I want to tryout your advice but I am wondering should I be able to deinstall pulseaduio without any side effect? As I can remeber it never worked well on my computers...
Thanks in advance.
you can uninstall pulseaudio without hurting anythi ng, but you won't be able to use skype. pulse sits on top of alsa (the default sound system), so you aren't taking away the original sound system.
DeicideUrF8
@dolphin_oracle
pulseaudio works on top of the default alsa sound system. It works fairly well, and is a default installed item in a lot of distros. There is a small hiccup with the antiX volume control icon. once pulse is installed, you will want to add"pulseaudio --start" and"sleep 2" to your startup file BEFORE the entry for volumeicon, like this:

pulseaudio --start
sleep 2
volumeicon &
When you say ''startup file'', do you mean startup script for WM in antix CC? Example Fluxbox.

Skype is the main reason I switched to Debian, cuz it configures pulseaudio automatically and I had no luck with it in antix. But I'm confident that I understand how to fix it now. Plus the gtk-youtube-viewer is set up nicely __{{emoticon}}__
Screw Flash Player __{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
DeicideUrF8 wrote:@dolphin_oracle

pulseaudio --start
sleep 2
volumeicon &
When you say ''startup file'', do you mean startup script for WM in antix CC? Example Fluxbox.

Skype is the main reason I switched to Debian, cuz it configures pulseaudio automatically and I had no luck with it in antix. But I'm confident that I understand how to fix it now. Plus the gtk-youtube-viewer is set up nicely __{{emoticon}}__
Screw Flash Player __{{emoticon}}__

Yep, whatever WM you use has its own startup file. You hit"Edit Fluxbox Settings" or whatever, and you should get an geany text editor window full of tabs for all the fluxbox config files, including one called"startup". Just add that code

pulseaudio --start
sleep 2
in front of the entry for volumeicon.