sobremore
I post message like this but I don't know where it gone. I'm unable to find it...
Machine is IBM ThinkPad T41.

Starting Skype in terminal gives these messages:

igor@antiX1:~
$ japaskajp
$ ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory

$ lsmod | grep alsa
$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_seq_oss 29666 1
snd_seq_midi_event 3597 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_rawmidi 12946 0
snd_seq 35033 2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_device 3878 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss
snd_timer 12249 1 snd_seq
snd 36962 5 snd_timer,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_device
soundcore 3463 1 snd
$ lsmod | grep sound
soundcore 3463 1 snd

Inxi output:

################### PC INFORMATION - audio #####################
################### Press CTRL + C to exit #####################

Audio: Card: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp

dmesg don't contain anything about: alsa, sound, snd, dsp ....
Eperbab
I have sound on 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp kernel, and doesn't have sound on any kernel above. I had sound on any kernel with AntiX 12.
Could You try the 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp kernel?
sobremore
Eperbab wrote:I have sound on 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp kernel, and doesn't have sound on any kernel above. I had sound on any kernel with AntiX 12.
Could You try the 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp kernel?
I'll be glad to do what You say but, please, explain me how to use and change two kernels!
Thanks in advance.
Eperbab
There are several ways to do it. Here is one:
Open a terminal. Type in

Code: Select all

su
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp linux-image-3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp
update-initramfs -u -k 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp
update-grub 
Explanation:
'su' will give you root access, you will need your root password here
'apt-get update' will check wich packages and wich package versions are avalaible now in the repositories to be installed
'apt-get install' will install what you say, in this case the kernel image file and the kernel header. You may or may not need header files depending on what you do on your system. It is safe to get them anyhow.
'update-initramfs' will configure a kernel image based on the just installed kernel image file. (it will be written to /boot )
'update-grub' will add the new kernel to the boot menu of grub. Grub is the default boot loader on AntiX. (it will write to /boot/grub/menu.lst )
It will be avalaible at next boot. Just restart to try it.

Personally I have installed synaptic, and used to add new kernels from there. I used to open synaptic and search for package names starting with 'linux-'. It will list all avalaible kernel headers and images. You can get synaptic by typing in 'sudo apt-get install synaptic' in a terminal.

** update: my problem was fixed by"sudo apt-get purge oss-compat".
cwilliams
I had great luck with thinkwiki.org for answers to linux issues.
I did a search on your T41 and found this answer to the sound problem.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1981B"
linktext was:"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1981B"
====================================

My old T22 was a stinker for video and audio and I found most answers at thinkwiki.
Hope it helps a little.
Colin
benji
Eperbab wrote:** update: my problem was fixed by"sudo apt-get purge oss-compat".
Thanks!