Budgie
Just started today with antiX so very new here and this is my first cry for help.

I am running antiX version 16.2 on 32 bit machine with IceWM desktop.

I have run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade and have installed multimedia repo and all seems OK but the Control Centre button still does not appear in my"start menu" (or whatever the button bottom left is called here).

I can start control centre from a console (antixcc.sh) which is how I installed the multimedia repo but after all this the menu is still not as shown in some of the videos.

The articles in the forum that I have found do not tell me how to correct the menu.  Please forgive if I have missed something but I would appreciate guidance here.  I would also like to be able to put additional Icons in my tray including Control Centre please.
Regards,
Budgie
rokytnji
I'm on my phone now. Don't panic. It is easy fix. Just copy /etc/skel icewm menu to hidden ~/icewm/applications.

Some other member currently on AntiX can coach you through this. If not. Be patient as I will be on my AntiX computer later.

Easier fix. Someone posts their menu line for antixccsh control center for Icewm Menu while I am working outside.

Howdy and Welcome.

Edit: Did you md5sum check your antix downloaded iso?  Also

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Readout would surely be appreciated .
skidoo
Understand that items displayed within the"tray" are inconic representations of running program instances
(different from"desktop icons", aka"launchers")

Fluxbox user here, I'm not a regular iceWM user, so I did some brushup reading

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm-14.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm-14.html"
====================================

url was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-6.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-6.html"

url was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-4.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-4.html"

and didn't find a documented way to"assign iceWM default startup tray items"

If you're comfortable with the (~6.1Mb) added session memory overhead incurred from a continually-running ControlCenter instance,
you could achieve your goal of having a"prepopulated" trayed cc icon by adding a couple lines into your desktop session startup file
antixcc.sh &
xdotool blahblah &
(blahblah, meaning, I don't know exacty what, offhand)

Just now, I opened an lxterminal window side-by-side with a antiX ControlCenter window
then ran the `xprop` comand at terminal prompt and clicked the titlebar of the ControlCenter window.
Hmm, the WM_CLASS is reported as"gtkdialog", which seems unsuitably non-deterministic / generic.
(During your startup, will any other gtkdialog-painted windows be present? I can't/wouldn't guess.)
The reported WM_NAME seems distinct (albeit locale-sepecific); an xdotool commandline called from within startup might utilize that.
The (TBD) result would be an autostarted cc instance is launched then immediately minimized-to-tray.

Flies in the ointment:

1) If you switch between desktop sessions or restart a session using desktopMenu"other desktops"...
a new (redundant) cc instance, and its tray icon, will be generated.
Maybe flock antixcc.sh & would prevent the launch of redundant cc instances (i haven't tested)
-=-
2) Nothing described above would prevent you from absent-mindedly clicking titlebar X and closing the cc window (vs minimize-to-tray).

The iceWM docs I've linked do mention using a"winoptions" file, and specifying `tray options for a given WM_CLASS`... but AFAICT that only triggers the custom-specified behavior in response to clicking a window's minimize (not"close") titlebar icon.

edited to add:
If you are using a icewm+space or icewm+rox session, a launcher icon placed on desktop or on roxpanel would be preferable to traying, IMO.

Another possibility for you to consider: edit ~/.icewm/keys and set a keybind to launch ControlCenter
(Actually, you'll find that one is already pre-configured; maybe change it to something less awkward than Ctrl+Alt+C.)
(Per the antiX helpdocs, accessible from desktop menu... Super+C does, already, less-awkwardly achieve the same result.)
Last edited by skidoo on 18 Sep 2017, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.
skidoo
and have installed multimedia repo
I don't know whether the advice is still relevant/applicable,but I recall reading instructions stating
"to avoid problems... remove/outcomment deb-multimedia immediately after downloading the package(s) you need"
Budgie
rokytnji wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 18:33
I'm on my phone now. Don't panic. It is easy fix. Just copy /etc/skel icewm menu to hidden ~/icewm/applications.

Some other member currently on AntiX can coach you through this. If not. Be patient as I will be on my AntiX computer later.

Easier fix. Someone posts their menu line for antixccsh control center for Icewm Menu while I am working outside.

Howdy and Welcome.

Edit: Did you md5sum check your antix downloaded iso?  Also

inxi -Fxz
Readout would surely be appreciated .
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did use MD5 check on iso download.
Here is result of your code:-

alastair@antix1:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5
           Distro: antiX-16.2_386-full Berta Cáceres 15 June 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop System: IBM product: 2373Q91 v: ThinkPad T42
           Mobo: IBM model: 2373Q91
           BIOS: IBM v: 1RETDRWW (3.23 ) date: 06/18/2007
Battery    BAT0: charge: 48.2 Wh 99.3% condition: 48.6/47.5 Wh (102%)
           model: SANYO IBM-92P1137 status: N/A
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 2397 speed/max: 1200/1800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV200/M7 [Mobility Radeon 7500]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI R100 (RV200 4C57) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2
           GLX Version: 1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 18c0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile)
           driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: 8000 bus-ID: 02:01.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR5212 802.11abg NIC
           driver: ath5k bus-ID: 02:02.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (15.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1234GA size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 9.8G used: 4.6G (50%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /home size: 27G used: 11G (42%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: 37.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 2964
Info:      Processes: 143 Uptime: 7:31 Memory: 231.8/1002.9MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.3.21 
alastair@antix1:~$ 
I shall try your suggestion now and report back.
Budge
Budgie
skidoo wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 21:15
Understand that items displayed within the"tray" are inconic representations of running program instances
(different from"desktop icons", aka"launchers")

Fluxbox user here, I'm not a regular iceWM user, so I did some brushup reading

url was:"http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm-14.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/manual/icewm-14.html"

url was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-6.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-6.html"

url was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-4.html"
linktext was:"http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-4.html"

and didn't find a documented way to"assign iceWM default startup tray items"

If you're comfortable with the (~6.1Mb) added session memory overhead incurred from a continually-running ControlCenter instance,
you could achieve your goal of having a"prepopulated" trayed cc icon by adding a couple lines into your desktop session startup file
antixcc.sh &
xdotool blahblah &
(blahblah, meaning, I don't know exacty what, offhand)

Just now, I opened an lxterminal window side-by-side with a antiX ControlCenter window
then ran the `xprop` comand at terminal prompt and clicked the titlebar of the ControlCenter window.
Hmm, the WM_CLASS is reported as"gtkdialog", which seems unsuitably non-deterministic / generic.
(During your startup, will any other gtkdialog-painted windows be present? I can't/wouldn't guess.)
The reported WM_NAME seems distinct (albeit locale-sepecific); an xdotool commandline called from within startup might utilize that.
The (TBD) result would be an autostarted cc instance is launched then immediately minimized-to-tray.

Flies in the ointment:

1) If you switch between desktop sessions or restart a session using desktopMenu"other desktops"...
a new (redundant) cc instance, and its tray icon, will be generated.
Maybe flock antixcc.sh & would prevent the launch of redundant cc instances (i haven't tested)
-=-
2) Nothing described above would prevent you from absent-mindedly clicking titlebar X and closing the cc window (vs minimize-to-tray).

The iceWM docs I've linked do mention using a"winoptions" file, and specifying `tray options for a given WM_CLASS`... but AFAICT that only triggers the custom-specified behavior in response to clicking a window's minimize (not"close") titlebar icon.

edited to add:
If you are using a icewm+space or icewm+rox session, a launcher icon placed on desktop or on roxpanel would be preferable to traying, IMO.

Another possibility for you to consider: edit ~/.icewm/keys and set a keybind to launch ControlCenter
(Actually, you'll find that one is already pre-configured; maybe change it to something less awkward than Ctrl+Alt+C.)
(Per the antiX helpdocs, accessible from desktop menu... Super+C does, already, less-awkwardly achieve the same result.)
Much to ponder on here and thanks. I think the issue is that I must learn and get used to new system. I tried IceWM on 32 bit Tumbleweed for a day or so but it was all too slow. Antix seems better but I still have to find a way of working.
Thanks again,
Budgie
Budgie
rokytnji wrote: I'm on my phone now. Don't panic. It is easy fix. Just copy /etc/skel icewm menu to hidden ~/icewm/applications.

[/quote]
[snip]
Well I copied the menu file to ~/.icewm/applications file.  I do not believe that file was present before.  On reboot the IceWM start button was gone so had to be added by selecting from right click menu Programs>Window Managers>IceWM.
This put the IceWM icon back but still no Control Centre button.
Not urgent at present.  I could add the antixcc.sh command myself if I knew what to edit but will wait your advice.
Regards,
Budgie
skidoo
~/.icewm/applications file.  I do not believe that file was present before.
Not present on my system, FWIW.
Closest match is ~/.icewm/menu-applications which is a symlink pointing to /usr/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications
On reboot the IceWM start button was gone so had to be added by selecting from right click menu Programs>Window Managers>IceWM.
gone?
Like... it was absent from the iceWM toolbar? If so, wow, I've never encountered anything like that.
reverseDog
The correct menu line in ~/.icewm/menu should be

prog"Control Center" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/categories/32/preferences-desktop.png antixcc.sh
Here it's line #18. Insert it right after 'prog"App Killer" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/actions/32/gtk-no.png xkill'.

Or, alternatively, copy the entire template /etc/skel/.icewm/menu to ~/.icewm/menu (and not to ~/.icewm/applications).
rokytnji
Thanks folks. After I posted yesterday.  Hand pulling the motorcycle trailer I was welding on . To park it. I sprained my lower back muscles. I can't sit right now for about a week.

Friendly suggestion Bungie. In case you do not know. Dolphin_Oracle has made tons of helpful videos on you tube on our distro. It might behoove to watch them if you have some spare time.

url was:"https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTRkAa6x1htVQjGq_hSAZw2uik33OFObY"
linktext was:"https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uik33OFObY"

>>>> This one covers menu changes

>>>>>>. same goes for this video.

>>>> watch to make sure you covered all install bases and maybe learn something you do not know.

Sorry I can be of more help today. But my body is not running on all cylinders.  Posted this lying on my back .

Edit: I really like this new feature of embedding videos in answers on our threads.
Budgie
reverseDog wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 09:35
The correct menu line in ~/.icewm/menu should be

prog"Control Center" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/categories/32/preferences-desktop.png antixcc.sh
Here it's line #18. Insert it right after 'prog"App Killer" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/actions/32/gtk-no.png xkill'.

Or, alternatively, copy the entire template /etc/skel/.icewm/menu to ~/.icewm/menu (and not to ~/.icewm/applications).
Hi and thanks for this. My line #18 is the same as yours. I have therefore deleted ~/.icewm/applications and adopted your alternative and all is now as it should be having restarted icewm.
Very many thanks again,
Budgie
Budgie
rokytnji wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:06
Thanks folks. After I posted yesterday.  Hand pulling the motorcycle trailer I was welding on . To park it. I sprained my lower back muscles. I can't sit right now for about a week.

Friendly suggestion Bungie. In case you do not know. Dolphin_Oracle has made tons of helpful videos on you tube on our distro. It might behoove to watch them if you have some spare time.

url was:"https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTRkAa6x1htVQjGq_hSAZw2uik33OFObY"
linktext was:"https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uik33OFObY"

>>>> This one covers menu changes

>>>>>>. same goes for this video.

>>>> watch to make sure you covered all install bases and maybe learn something you do not know.

Sorry I can be of more help today. But my body is not running on all cylinders.  Posted this lying on my back .

Edit: I really like this new feature of embedding videos in answers on our threads.
Hi and sorry to learn of your injury. Hope you get chance to rest and recover soon, Meanwhile I am pleased to report that my original problem seems to be fixed.
Thanks again.
Budgie