topic title: Newbie questions
Not a complete Linux newbie but need help..

Chose antix over sidux after reading a lot on both last night.

Getting the error messages below when opening terminal or attempting to run CENI so I can try and setup wireless. broadcom 4311 was not automatically found. i don't think nvidia ge force 6150 was found either coming to think of it.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Failed to run env '-u' 'ORBIT_SOCKETDIR' '/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator' as user root.

Failed to fork new process: No such file or directory

Error running ROXTERM:

The command for this terminal failed to run
secipolla
I don't know the origin for this error but someone had it before. Anyway, for you to run Ceni do this:
Menu>Applications>Accessories>Root Terminal
then

Code: Select all

ceni
If the driver is set to 'nv' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Control Center>System>Config Files) then it was properly recognized. You can force the nv driver when booting the live-cd by appending drvr=nv to GRUB's boot line (also present in the 'extra options' in GRUB's menu).

After installation you can install nVidia's proprietary driver running smxi.
Thanks for the reply but the problem is that I can't login to root terminal because when it's opened I get the error message I cut and pasted earlier...

To run ceni I first have to root in terminal.
Failed to run /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator as user root.

Failed to fork new process: No such file or directory

Is the error message i get when i try to run root terminal...help...
oldhoghead
Site Admin
What version of antiX are you using and is an install or livecd?

cheers,
oldhoghead
teresaejunior
Let me see if I understand! You can't open a terminal as root. So, should you open a terminal with your current user and then, inside the terminal type:

Code: Select all

su -c ceni
ron
I have the same problem as the OP. I can't open a terminal or login as root
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Ron,

Sorry to hear that, newbie and I discussed this in chat, guess we should have documented it here, he was running a beta version, and there were some issues with the betas, of course that is why they are beta's, to get rid of the bugs, the final should be out soon, but in the interim, what version are you running?

How about posting the results of inxi -F in terminal

cheers,
oldhoghead
eriefisher
If your using the full version(not base) use the control center in the panel to open ceni. You do not have to be root.