Pilip
Hi.

Today I tried to install AntiX on an old labtop. So I first made a boot on a CD. But then, I must admit that I can't install it (I suppose that it's beacause I'm too noob with linux =|). I didn't see any option during the boot, so when I'm on the desktop, I make a right click and then choose"Install". But at this point, the system asks me for a password that I don't have.

I suppose I made something wrong, but I don't really know where.

Could you help me please ?

PS : Sorry for my english, I'm french __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Password is root for livecd.

For the desktop that antiX uses (fluxbox) you get the menu by right-clicking.
Good luck with the install.
mariel77
The password to install antiX is"root" with no quote marks. During the install you can choose your own passwords. I hope it works for you.

Also if you are used to windows, you may prefer using icewm as a window manager instead of fluxbox. You can find it when you right-click on the desktop.
Pilip
It worked __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks guys, you rock __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
Glad it worked for you, and welcome to the antiX community, Pilip!
__{{emoticon}}__
Pilip
Thanks __{{emoticon}}__

But now I'm sorry to disturb you again (I don't really know if it's the right word, correct me if I say something incroorect please xD), but I can't make my wifi work with antiX. I tried with ndiswrapper but I can't find the file"driver.inf" =l

Could you help me please ?

Edit : I forgot : my usb card is a Netgear WG111 v2 (or 3, but I think it's 2 -_o)
eriefisher
I have one of these. The wg111v2 uses the rtl8187 driver in Linux. This should work out of the box for you. You will still need to set it up with wicd or ceni though or even the Mepis network tools. If it is not detected open a terminal and su to root and type modprobe rtl8187.

I just found mine and plugged it in and it is recognized no problem. I don't have a working wireless signal right now to test it though.
mariel77
You find wicd in the antiX control center under the network tab.
Ceni is also under the network tab, but is under the Set wired connection; it worked the best for me.
eriefisher
The windows driver is available here.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp"
linktext was:"http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Pilip
My netgear is a v2. But it isn't recognized by wicd neither by ceni :/
eriefisher
With the device plugged in open a terminal and.....

Code: Select all

su<enter>
(rootpassword)<enter>
ifconfig<enter>
This will list all network devices on your system. Do you see a wireless device? If not then again in the terminal.......

modprobe rtl8187
This will load the driver if not already loaded. You can confirm this by using....

lsmod
This will list all loaded drivers. You should see rtl8187 on the list somewhere, if so run ifconfig again to check for the device. If it is now listed you can use wicd or ceni to set it up. I have heard that wicd sometimes need quotes around the"passphrase" but not here. If the device is still not recognized please post the output of the previous commands here for a look.
Pilip

su<enter>
(rootpassword)<enter>
ifconfig<enter>
I've done it, but I can't see a wireless device. What should it look like ? :/

modprobe rtl8187
When I tip this, it just go to the next line. Nothing appears.

lsmod
There are too much things appearing, I can't see the top =/

PS : Now I discovered that I have no sound and that my animated gif couldn't be... animated D:
eriefisher
Lets try this to shorten the list a little

lsmod | grep rtl

This should only show anything with"rtl" in it.

For sound open control center>>hardware>>configure sound. Enter your root password and follow along.

Animated gif----It would depend on which app the image is opened in. I don't think feh will handle it but gthumb will.
Pilip
My sound has returned __{{emoticon}}__ I just configured the integrated soundcard instead of the real __{{emoticon}}__

And for the internet, I put a WG111 v2 instead of the v3, and it works : I'm connected to the modem... but firefox still doesn't work ._.

For the .gif, I use Gqview but I'll try to install XnView to test :p
eriefisher
The V3 is a totally different animal. Don't know what chip set is in it but the win driver and ndiswrapper"might" work.

Edit: I found this
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://eligere.wordpress.com/2007/12/26/netgear-wg111v3-b-linux-2623/"
linktext was:"http://eligere.wordpress.com/2007/12/26 ... inux-2623/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false