macdiver
Hi,

I'm new to Antix and Linux. I'm currently running Antix on a live CD. I'm having a few issues that I would like to resolve. For information each time I startup I log in using the demo user and password in the default mode.

First issue is that any changes that I make is not stored. I have to reset the clock each time. Any bookmarks or home page that I set in iceweasel are not remembered. How can I get these preferences set?

Next issue is when I go to my ISP homepace (comcast dot net) it tells me my browser needs to be upgraded. However, Iceweasel doesn't show any updates are required. I click on continue without upgrade to reach the homepage. Once there if I try to go to another page or check my emails the browser crashes. If I don't go to the comcast page, I have no issues with other sites.

I'm running Antix on an older machine, it is a dell dimension 4100 with a pentium III processor and 256K ram. I am trying Linux distros to hopefully extend the life of this machine. My primary use is as a web browser.

Any advice to address these issues would be appreciated. Please keep it simple since I'm just a basic user and not an IT guy.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello macdiver

The livecd does not store the information or changes so everytime you boot, changes are lost.

For the second issue, the problem is comcast doesn't recognise iceweasel as being the same as firefox. Not sure how to fix that though.
macdiver
anticapitalista,

Thanks for the quick reply. You have done a great job with Antix. I have found it easy to use. My computer friends warned of doom and gloom if I tried switching. The liveCD recognizes all of my hardware including the microsoft wireless mouse. Thank you.

I've only been using Antix for three days but my plan is to install it in a dual boot mode soon. So that will take care of the first issue. Comcast is comcast, so I doubt if I can get them to change. Oh well.

Mark
OU812
You could try saving your bookmarks, etc. to a usb stick.

If you have enough memory, you could install firefox using the control center.

I don't know if these workarounds are worth the effort, though.

john
plvera
Hello Macdiver and welcome to Antix:

Here's a link with some suggestions on how to fix the unsupported browser problem you are having with iceweasel. Check under troubleshooting.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel"
linktext was:"http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pedro
macdiver
I'll try saving to a jump drive.

I have not tried the fix for Iceweasel yet. I'll probably will try it this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

Next question. To set up a dual boot do I have to partition my hard disk in windows first or just use Linux to partition the drive?
eriefisher
Hello macdiver, welcome to antiX.

When you boot the live cd look in the menu for gparted or partiton..... something. This will allow you to resize your windows partition. Some advice, after you resize and before you install I would reboot back into windows. This will do a chkdsk to correct itself and clean up.

Once you install you can do one of two thing to boot:

1)Allow the installer to put grub in the mbr. This will overwrite the mbr but it should see that windows is installed and add it to the boot menu.

2)Use the windows boot loader to select which OS to boot into. This is a little more complicated but works very well and allows you to remove linux from that drive with ease. Here is a guide.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Windows_boot_loader"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... oot_loader"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

The steps assume kde but if you use the file manger in antiX to navigate you shouldn't have any trouble. Also change the name of the OS to reflect antiX instead of Mepis.