plvera
Hello:

This is a very impressive distro. I'm really happy with it.

I have a small problem. I deleted Abiword and installed Open Office, Bibus and R (statistical software). But the right click menu on the desktop still shows Abiword and does not show up (or at least I can't find them) the other ones.

How do I change the right-click menu to reflect the changed apps?

I logged out and logged back in but they still do not show up.

Best regards.
eriefisher
eriefisher
I assume you are using the default WM Fluxbox. Fluxbox does not update it's menus automatically, you must edit them manually. Right click for menu, select run and type:

Code: Select all

leafpad .fluxbox/menu
This will open the menu text file. Just switch the entry for abiword for open office and and any others. To get the proper commands you can look in /usr/share/applications. Find the app and right click and open with leafpad or open as text and you should be able to see Exec=command.

I'm not sure of the exact commands you need but they should be in /usr/share/applications. Good luck and enjoy.
plvera
Thanks for the information, eriefisher!

Regards.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
See here to get a fluxbox or icewm that auto-updates itself

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=140083&postcount=8"
linktext was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showp ... ostcount=8"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
plvera
Hi anticapitalista:

Thanks for the link. I may update so that fluxbox auto-updates, yet it's kind of fun doing the manual update. This is my first experirence with fluxbox so I'm interested in learning about it.

Regards.
plvera
I apologize for all the newbie questions.

I did set the Open Office applications in the menu and they do work.

However, when I tried to set up R, I can't get it to work. All I need to do to start the program is type"R" (no quotes) in a terminal window. I set the PATH to

/usr/lib/R/bin

and the fluxbox menu command to {/usr/lib/R/bin R} and nothing happens. I also tried {R} and that does not work either.

I read the Howto but could not figure out how to point it in the right direction.

thanks.
mariel77
R is in your"path" somewhere because you can start it with a simple command.

However you need to find where the application actually is. It is usually in /usr/bin in antiX as eriefisher said. Go to /usr/lib/R/bin and see if it starts when you click on it. If it doesn't, then you need to find the location. I usually look in synaptic in the Installed Files tab.
eriefisher
If just"R" is the command you use in the terminal then that's all you need in the menu.

Code: Select all

[exec] (R) {R}
Just make sure the case is correct(upper or lower case)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try this if R runs inside a terminal

[exec] (R) {roxterm -e R}
eriefisher
Does this app run in a terminal? not graphical????
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It runs in a terminal, so

[exec] (R) {roxterm -e R}

is the correct one.
plvera
thanks to all for your help.

Anticapitalista was correct and the problem was fixed. I learned that just typing"R" in a term calls up a shell script to the program. I'm sorry I did not indicate earlier that it was a graphical application (the others are and the icons exec worked very nicely in the menu file). I should have said that R runs in a terminal

Now all my new applications are showing up nicely (and also removed the ones I'm not using).

Once again, thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions.

Regards.