cwilliams
Here's my report on a new install antiX-13.1_x64-full.iso dated 7-27-13 (when I downloaded it)
The motherboard is an MSI H87-G43 LGA 1150 running an Intel 15-4570s 4 core chip and 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws PC312800 ram.
The install took 3 tries for some reason as the disk partitioning choked on the first 2 attempts.
The drive is a 1TB seagate barracuda sata 6GB
I generally set my drive up as
20GB /root /dev/sda1
4GB /swap /dev/sda2
884GB /home /dev/sda3
The machine pretty much doesn't use the swap either way.
Firstly the system is FAST!
CPU throttling works well and most tasks use less than 10% and the cores only jump from 800MHz to 2901MHz every once in a while
Even watching a movie near fullscreen with GMplayer shows 13-18% CPU usage at the lower core frequency.
I setup my conky to read all cores to see who was doing the most work ...-}
I'm only using the onboard video as the Haswell is optimized for this task (apparently).
Very satisfied to say the least.
A couple snags so far ...
I can't logout and back in.The system just goes into limbo and stares at me like a teenager.
Icewm will restart ok when I select it.
Shut down will work after it sets for about 3 minutes at what looks like a limbo state.
Reboot takes nearly as long but with one screen mesage
" rcu-sched detected stalls on CPU/tasks : {0}"
I set the BIOS for UEFI and legacy for the drives.
The BIOS can only be set for UEFI or UEFI/legacy.
The drives are set for their names , not UEFI names.
I tried SU from a terminal , shutdown button , sudo , all pretty much do the same thing on reboot or shutdown.
The sound took a while to configure as it seems to be a bunch of sound cards in one.
I use the X11 driver in gmplayer for the best picture and least CPU usage , and it's beautiful.
I did have the" no more synaptic problem" after a dist-upgrade and set the themes to mediterranean-light for root and user to fix it.
The drive only has antiX installed as EXT4 file system.
Any ideas ?
Colin
rokytnji
Howdy and Welcome from Texas.

Its Official. Looks like you have the newest gear running AntiX compared to most members here.
I can't logout and back in.The system just goes into limbo and stares at me like a teenager.
Icewm will restart ok when I select it.
Shut down will work after it sets for about 3 minutes at what looks like a limbo state.
Any ideas ?
Unfortunately not right now. Probably the smarter members here do though. Me. I'd try as root (out of habit) in terminal

Code: Select all

shutdown -h now
or

init 0
to see if shutdown is immediate first.
cwilliams
Thanks for the suggestions rokytnji.
I did for the most part figure it out.
The standard kernel might be a bit dated for a CPU/mainboard this new , so I did a
smxi
dist-upgrade
kernel update to
3.10-2-amd64 (debian)
and all is mostly well ....
Logout works , shutdown and reboot works.
I really like that the antiX quit button does all it's suppose to do too.
The only thing so far not working now is sound when watching a flash video on the web with iceweasel.
If I download the video to my own directory , it plays just fine , sound and all.
One more stupid question , when I login to icewm the conky is wrong.
If I shut it down and restart , it uses the one I wrote in my home directory.
Any ideas?
And thanks from upstate New York.
I'm just a 53 year old auto mechanic , but I love computers and especially antiX.
Colin
rokytnji
Look in /.icewm/conky_icewm.

There is where changes are made for conky in Icewm.

Edit: by the way. I am just a bike mech myself.
dark-D
for flash try this command as root to update it.

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
maybe the sound will work after.
cwilliams
I gave that a try , but to no avail....
Actually my sound works fine on everything but iceweasel when watching a flash video.
I did a search and found this to be a pretty big problem with debian/iceweasel right now.
I did try icedtea instead of flash-plugin-non-free and a couple other things , but it's only when watching"within" iceweasel for now.
Thanks
Colin
rokytnji
Download the Firefox tar.bz2. Extract it. Then launch it from folder. See if sound works in it for starters. I run firefox and seamonkey in AntiX 11 base in my
motorcycle shop computer out of either /opt or /home (I don't remember right now and things are packed away due to construction/confusion)
dolphin_oracle
google chrome (not sure about chromium) has its own version of flash, so that might be an option as well.
cwilliams
Ok , I fixed it for now , ,,,,,,I think.....
I removed flashplugin-nonfree and tried flashplayer-mozilla , nothing for sound.
Got reading a bit and found a few guys having luck with gnash and gnash-plugin , so I installed them.
Now everything works just dandy.
Apparently the testing version of debian has some flash problems , and in this case gnash worked for me.
I have a laptop running wheezy version and it has had zero problems with iceweasel/flash/sound , so it must be a testing thing.
Thanks guys for the help and moral support...
Colin