MangoMike
Just loaded atiX on an old HP laptop (recommended by a guy on the Mint forum) after loading Mint and finding I don't have the resources to run it. antiX is running fine, no problem with the intall. My question is, does antiX have a software manager?

Thanks,

Mike Denson
Tampa, FL
rokytnji
Control Center>System>Manage Software. It will be Synaptic package manager like you were used to in Mint. Howdy and Welcome Mango Mike.

Package Management is also available in Fluxbox and Icewm Menus as Synaptic also.
MangoMike
Thanks,

I did see that, and have tried it several times, but can't get it to work. I enter the admin password, the screen briefly dims, then returns to the contral center. I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what.

Do you have any ideas?

Mike
plvera
plvera
Hello Mike:

Welcome to Antix! You could try starting Synaptic from a terminal to see what errors you are getting. To do this, in a terminal type:

gksu synaptic

it will then bring up the password screen, and (when things are working right) it should start synaptic. Please post the output of the terminal to see what the problem might be.

I hope this works for you.

Pedro
MangoMike
Thanks Pedro,

Here's the output:

No protocol specified

(synaptic:26483): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
mike@mike laptop:~$

Does this tell you anything?

Mike
oldhoghead
Site Admin
MangoMike,

Welcome to antiX, how bout typing in terminal as user, not root

inxi -F

That will give info about your version and particulars of your system.

cheers,
oldhoghead
MangoMike
oldhoghead,

I don't understand your comment about typing in terminal as user, not root. I was in terminal as user, when I ran gkus synaptic a window opened and asked for my Admin password, which I entered. What should I do?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Type
inxi -F

in a terminal (as user not root).
This will give us information about your box.
MangoMike
I ran inxi and it worked fine. What I don't understand is"in terminal as user, not root", and I still don't know why I can't open the synaptic.

Mike
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What message to you get when you do this in a terminal

su
type your root password
synaptic
MangoMike
That worked, thanks. Synaptic started just like it should...