topic title: Netflix won't work
sewjo
Hello!
I installed the non-pae antiX mx-14 on my very old Toshiba Satellite laptop. So far everything is working great except Netflix. I used the metapackage installer for Netflix and it goes well right up to the point where I press play, then nothing happens. Black screen. I also installed mx-14 on an old Dell desktop and Netfix works fine on that. I appreicate any help!
sanage
A complete list of all possible variants is in the file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst
dolphin_oracle
the silverlight plugin that netflix uses I believe requires graphics acceleration. Its possible that your very old toshiba (post inxi -F specs please) may not have the horsepower to run netflix. It is not particularly lite.
Ocalasun
Interesting news on Distrowatch:
"Netflix is a service which allows clients to stream television and film to their computers and hand held devices. Over the years the Netflix client software has been ported to several platforms, but GNU/Linux users have largely been ignored. In the past some workarounds were put together, mostly using WINE to get Netflix streaming to Linux desktop machines. Finally, a native solution for watching Netflix on Linux desktops and laptops has been made available. As the Ubuntu Insights website reports:"Thanks to recent efforts at Netflix and Canonical, Ubuntu now supports watching Netflix with Chrome version 37. Chrome is available to all Ubuntu users with up-to-date installations of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS and later. Netflix subscribers who already use Ubuntu can now watch simply by installing the Chrome browser."

I'm gonna try on my MX-14 install, since I have a netflix account, to see if this is Ubuntu specific, I would think it will work on any Debian derivitive.
dolphin_oracle
It won't work at the moment in MX. Debian wheezy libnss3 is older. If you install the Jessie version (libnss3) it should work, but right now google devs' have the 32bit drm library screwed up because they are linking to a glib library that is in jessie but not wheezy. They are working on it. Google has had a problem recently with getting the correct libraries linked up in debian stable. Hopefully it will get changed soon.

I do have this working in the antix-14R alpha 3, and its great! but the alpha is no where near ready for public consumption as yet (that's why its an alpha).
Ocalasun
Thanks for the info...good to know. For the time being my wife has xp on her computer and we use netflix on that with our 54" screen. It actually works pretty good considering I live in the woods and my dsl isn't even at full speed 'cause of crappy lines. Netflix still isn't a good enough reason for me to switch to 'buntu...lol.
dolphin_oracle
I use netflix on every device I have. On the TV, we have both a purpose-built desktop and an appleTV. My parents have a roku they like right now (which are pretty cheap at walmart at the moment). the nice thing about the roku and other set tops is you get the remote control. I picked up a cheap harmony remote and it will run both the TV and the appleTV (and the pc with a little google-fu and a dongle called flirc).

dsl sucks for interference issues. at&t has fixed"interference" issues twice for me in the last 3 months. annoying when you can't keep a connection...
Ocalasun
Sounds like a nice setup. I can keep a connection, but it's slow..I have only had dsl for 6 months, it wasn't even available here and I do not have cable service. After using Hughesnet (satellite $100/mo and bandwith cap) for 3 years, the slow dsl is still a blessing and netflix actually streams well with no hiccups. I'm putting together a media server for the household, we'll see how that works out...a fun prioject anyways.
leonardj446
dolphin_oracle wrote: I do have this working in the antix-14R alpha 3, and its great! but the alpha is no where near ready for public consumption as yet (that's why its an alpha).
Due to your comment above, I gave antix-14R alpha 3 a try. Using Google-Chrome from the web site, I was able to watch Netflix with no problems. I have always liked using antix. This alpha version also impressed me with its quick boot.

I also enjoy the Dolphin Oracle You Tube presentations. Thanks.
dolphin_oracle
FYI there is now an experimental repo on the MX side of things that will allow Netflix to work native in MX. Here's a thread for you to check out.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=37022"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 88&t=37022"
====================================

I've been using it for a few days now and no issues have cropped up for me, but that depends on your application set.