topic title: My current hell
eriefisher
Since a few of you have been curious, here is a few pictures from my back yard.

Facing east:

Facing south, that's Pennsylvania in the distance:
Facing west:

Welcome to my current hell, enjoy.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Lovely!

I have used the second shot as a wallpaper with sleekmason's fluxbox and conky theme.
masinick
Just what I was looking for, Erie! I now have that same image as my work laptop wallpaper! __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks!
eriefisher
You must of seen landscapes like this on the Michigan peninsula.

It could easily be mistaken for Siberia, da!
masinick
eriefisher wrote:You must of seen landscapes like this on the Michigan peninsula.

It could easily be mistaken for Siberia, da!
Ayup! From 1975-1979 I attended Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan, and while Boston experienced"The Blizzard of '78", I was still attending Michigan Tech, and we set snow records that still hold there today - just a tick under 356 inches, most snow east of the Mississippi in the US. I got stuck in Green Bay, Wisconsin one time while flying back from a job interview trip to Denver, Colorado. Green Bay ONLY had a SIX inch snowfall, but that was enough to close the Green Bay airport. Turned out that Chicago O'Hare, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis (from which my connecting flight originated) also closed down. So we circled Lake Michigan for an hour or so, going up and down in the air current drafts while they desperately cleared a runway enough to let us in.

Even Lake St. Clair, very close to where I grew up (in Fraser, Michigan) would often freeze over and make a great spot for ice fishing shanties. Lake St. Clair was only about five miles away from my home where I grew up. Lake Huron was about fifty miles away, and on my way to Michigan Tech, at various points the highways went directly past the straights of Mackinac, Lake Michigan, and toward the completion of my journey, Lake Superior.

I was a Freshman at 'Da Tech in November 1975 when 70 MPH winds ripped across the campus, just before Fall Finals. The Edmunton Fitzgerald had its uneventul demise on that day...
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald"
linktext was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Edmund_Fitzgerald"
linktext was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_ ... Fitzgerald"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
mariel77
@ erie: That was the way it looked where I grew up - no trees except in town. The snow makes anything look nice though, unless, of course, you don't like snow.

@ anti: Where is sleekmason's fb/conky theme? Did I miss it somewhere? It might work with my current wallpaper.

@ masinik: I've seen snowstorms like that too. My best snowstorm was the year I couldn't go home for Easter (in April) because it snowed so much the passes closed for a day. And then I was stuck walking in thigh deep soft snow with my roommate. At least it wasn't that cold, and we laughed a lot!
dark-D
very impressive"backyard" erie. what was the previous hell ? __{{emoticon}}__
eriefisher
ICE-M wrote:what was the previous hell ?
Last winter, although not near as cold as this winter.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
mariel,

sleekmason's fluxbox is on the final. I'm working on the upgrader script
and I think I have got it sorted out.
Though the script upgrades antiX-M7.5 to M8 final, it should work just
fine for all testing/rc versions of M8.

Hopefully the final will be ready around 21st Jan
eriefisher
One for seasonal comparison.
plvera
Erie:

Great pictures. Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Pedro
masinick
plvera wrote:Erie:

Great pictures. Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Pedro
Agreed! It is beautiful, just a bit chilly right now. BTW, it is -2 degrees F in Concord, what is that in Celsius?
eriefisher
mariel77 wrote:@ erie: That was the way it looked where I grew up - no trees except in town. The snow makes anything look nice though, unless, of course, you don't like snow.
There are no trees because these are pointing out over Lake Erie, Just ice right now. If you look to the far left or far right there a plenty of trees as well as behind me.
plvera
[quote="masinick
Agreed! It is beautiful, just a bit chilly right now. BTW, it is -2 degrees F in Concord, what is that in Celsius?[/quote]

Brian:

-2 F is -18.8 C. In case you are interested, the formula is as follows:

[(F-32)/9]*5 = C

-2 F in Concord sounds fairly warm,compared to -15.5 in Raymond, Maine at around 6 am today (where my inlaws live). Of course, maybe below a certain temperature the actual numbers don't matter and just"damn cold" applies __{{emoticon}}__

Best,

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I'm cold when it is less than 10C __{{emoticon}}__