eugen-b
Jerry wrote:
The result is not that good, but it works in principle.
I find the result just fine: menu is good, bottom panel is set up. It's just waiting for the user to make it his own with normal additions such as a new desktop, etc.
First I installed install-meta-mx from Synaptic then installed lxde with it.
No need to do that: like I said, just use MX Package Installer, which is already there.
Would the result be different if I installed with MX Package Installer, is metapackage-installer somehow"bad"? Well, I removed these MX Tools because I didn't need them, but they are definetly useful for people who don't use btrfs snapshot feature or make their own ISOs. I used it when I installed my wireless card as well. But then I uninstalled it and got completely rid of Qt4 as a side effect.

My LXDE session is definitely not ready, you're right. Especially when I compare it to some polished LXDE distros. And I don't know for sure whether I will be able to resolve all issues I have with it.

I thought a bit more about a second OS on a second btrfs root subvolume. I don't trust the installers that they will understand that I wand to mount only the subvolume as target

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,subvol=@second /dev/sda1 /target
So I would install on my CF card and then move the root subvolume to my SSD (mountinng /dev/sda1 on /mnt so I can see the subvolumes). What a great idea! __{{emoticon}}__ Then I can add a new entry to the Grub menu using the correct bootflag with a nice tool called grub-customizer.
eugen-b
I was able to copy the root subvolume of my wattOS LXDE installation from my thin client's CF card to its SSD. I used cp - source target command to copy folders under root individually to the mounted subvolume @watt on my SSD. It was not possible to make a snapshot from one disk to the other, so I had to copy which went fast with cp. Then I changed etc/grub.d/10_linux file to rootflags="@watt" chrooted to the mounted subvolume and issued update-grub. I didnt issue grub-install, but logged in to my MX-14 and used grub-customizer to add an entry for the new OS. It didn't come automatically, but I copied the code in a way that makes sense. I installed everything I needed (the latest liquorix kernel, palemon, I added MEPIS repo __{{emoticon}}__ for which I am very thankful!) and updated before copying to the subvolume. But the kernel seems to be making problems,
- boot goes with flickering text despite: vga=792 parameter and blacklisted viafb in etc/modules/
- synaptic and apt-get need very long time (>30 min and apt-get is at 50%) to load package list
It could be due to s.th. missing, because on MX-14 the 4.1.6 liquorix kernel works well. Perhaps a library for bfq scheduler.
However it ended successfully and the second time loading was fast. I have however an error, because I'm being asked to install Grub, which I don't want, beacause I'll need to repair it on my main OS...

PS: Screenshot post43087.html#p43087
azrielle
Have you tried Porteus?