topic title: MX 14.4 "Edu"
skidoo
Grub Customizer has a tab for appearance
Hmm, I see no tabs in the version shipped in antix15.
Jerry
I'm on the alpha of MX-15 ATM, where the version is 4.0.6.
melodie
Jerry wrote:(I looked at your post there, but can't figure out how to register...)

Did you try using Grub Customizer to change the screen?
Hi,

There is a howto for English speaking users in the"forum and website life section":
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.linuxvillage.org/index.php/topic,27.0.html"
linktext was:"English speaking: Help about registering"
====================================

Yes, I tried using Grub Customizer first thing, and as it was not working I edited directly the (slash)etc(slash)default(slash)grub file. Then later, with the help of someone on the #grub IRC channel, (irc.freenode.net : it would be nice to see people from antiX on #antix too), I figured out that Grub Customizer does not use the right variables. (Which are located in (slash)etc(slash)grub.d(slash)05_debian_theme). Therefore, Grub Customizer in antiX 14.4 is of no use.

Something else seems strange to me: why does boot-grub-grub.cfg has 444 permissions? (r--r--r--). I changed it to 644 (rw-r--r--) and after a reboot it's back to 444. __{{emoticon}}__

I might be wrong, but it seems something there isn't right?
melodie
skidoo wrote:FYI, I have an old account at LV (different username) but seldom visit b/c all the nagivation text, and stuff, is displayed in some weird language. Well, not weird, just fRenCh, but anyhow...
English is available in one's profile. __{{emoticon}}__

url was:"http://forum.linuxvillage.org/index.php?action=profile;area=account"
linktext was:"http://forum.linuxvillage.org/index.php ... ea=account"
melodie
skidoo wrote:I haven't read whether this is a snapshot or remaster... but I'm thinking that, for the live boot,
bgimage ALSO needs to be specied in /boot/isonlinux/isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg
I have done several versions. The first was a remaster. The result was too big, almost 1 GB, and it had some of the default antiX setup, such as the antiX background in the live. Next, I did a new one using"snapshot", meaning to make it a remix which can be shared (the username is not a personal one, and no personal stuff comes in the home of the user).

Some parts that I wanted to have in the live were there, such as the setup of the panel. (I put a copy of all the files which are to be kept from the -home-user to -etc-skel, and I was surprised to see that the antiX remaster script had applied it's own background). In the installed distribution I don't see any /boot/isonlinux/isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg (hé, you can post with / now? )

There is a boot/extlinux with files in it, and I had a look, but I don't know what to do there.

PS: the last version was 660MB, and was done with the"snapshot" method. I am about to make a new one, again with the"remaster" method, to see what happens this time.
Jerry
melodie wrote:
Jerry wrote:(I looked at your post there, but can't figure out how to register...)

Did you try using Grub Customizer to change the screen?
Hi,

There is a howto for English speaking users in the"forum and website life section":
url was:"http://forum.linuxvillage.org/index.php/topic,27.0.html"
linktext was:"English speaking: Help about registering"

Yes, I tried using Grub Customizer first thing, and as it was not working I edited directly the (slash)etc(slash)default(slash)grub file. Then later, with the help of someone on the #grub IRC channel, (irc.freenode.net : it would be nice to see people from antiX on #antix too), I figured out that Grub Customizer does not use the right variables. (Which are located in (slash)etc(slash)grub.d(slash)05_debian_theme). Therefore, Grub Customizer in antiX 14.4 is of no use.

Something else seems strange to me: why does boot-grub-grub.cfg has 444 permissions? (r--r--r--). I changed it to 644 (rw-r--r--) and after a reboot it's back to 444. __{{emoticon}}__

I might be wrong, but it seems something there isn't right?
I'm very comfortable in French, so it wasn't the language but rather something about the organization of the page that threw me off.

A propos: étant donné qu'il s'agit ici de MX, il serait peut-être utile de consulter aussi l'opinion des gens sur
url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/index.php"
linktext was:"le MX Forum"
, surtout avec tes questions techniques.
skidoo
Something else seems strange to me: why does boot-grub-grub.cfg has 444 permissions? (r--r--r--).
I changed it to 644 (rw-r--r--) and after a reboot it's back to 444
Spending nearly all my time in live session (syslinux, not grub) I haven't messed with grub recently.
From my bookmarks, I recommend you read/skim this entire page:

url was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup"
linktext was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup"

but I'll quote a passage from it
Editing grub.cfg directly

In the earliest versions of GRUB 2, not only was editing this file discouraged, it was made read-only even for"root".
This changed and now the developers acknowledge that sometimes the user may wish to simply edit the file manually.
Because of the automatic changes induced by update-grub however, manual edits are subject to being overwritten by the system.

If grub.cfg is manually edited, here are some considerations:

The user will need to edit the file after each running of update-grub, updates of some GRUB 2 packages, and addition or removal of the main Ubuntu's system kernels.

It is possible to"freeze" the current grub.cfg file by redirecting the update-grub command so that it doesn't actually run. The versatility of GRUB 2 probably makes this option the least desirable.

The parts of grub.cfg which the user actually sees are generated by the /etc/grub.d scripts. The user can make one or more of those scripts non-executable and substitute a custom entry or edit the actual script. Either method allows menu customization while still permitting the system to update GRUB 2.
skidoo
(hé, you can post with / now? )
The forum bug is very specific.
Only"slash ee tee cee" /etc is forbidden.

If you install the firefox extension"TextareaCache", any time you reach the"forbodden" page you can just click the browser's back button and revise your post.
skidoo
and I was surprised to see that the antiX remaster script had applied it's own background).
In the installed distribution I don't see any /boot/isonlinux/isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg
"the antiX remaster script"
I've been expecting increasing levels of confusion (for me, at least) regarding MX vs antiX script differences and this is an example of such.
Is MX still shipping a"the antiX remaster script"?
If so, is the script /usr/local/bin/remaster.sh ...or /usr/local/bin/live-remaster ?
Similarly, because I'm not using MX, I've lost track whether"isosnapshot" =="iso-snapshot" or whether current versions of those scripts now differ significantly.
Perhaps only Adrian and BitJam are aware of all the nitty-gritty differences between the"branded" scripts. Unfortunately, neither of them posts here regularly.

isolinux is only consulted during boot from CD.
syslinux is consulted when booting from pendrive.
After having used the"snapshot" script to create an iso, I've found that copying the iso to pendrive via unetbootin
can result in the antix-flavored syslinux files being overwritten/replaced with unetbootin's generic blue-background menu.
(I can't recall whether unetbootin similarly distrubs the antix-flavored isolinux files.)
Jerry
Is MX still shipping a"the antiX remaster script"?
RemasterCC is used in 14.4 behind mx-remaster AFAIK.
skidoo
I was surprised to see that the antiX remaster script had applied it's own background
We're jumping around, covering a LOT of ground.
boot screen background? desktop background?
If you are talking about boot screen background, and you're using isosnapshot (aka mx-snapshot), to change booscreen background image:

1) cp /usr/lib/iso-snapshot/iso-template.tar.gz /usr/lib/iso-snapshot/iso-template.tar.gz.BAK
2) unpack iso-template.tar.gz and replace the back*.jpg imagefiles residing in ...boot/syslinux and in ...boot/isolinux with your custom images
3) repack the archive
4) launch isosnapshot (aka mx-snapshot)
melodie
skidoo wrote:
I was surprised to see that the antiX remaster script had applied it's own background
We're jumping around, covering a LOT of ground.
boot screen background? desktop background?
If you are talking about boot screen background, and you're using isosnapshot (aka mx-snapshot), to change booscreen background image:

1) cp /usr/lib/iso-snapshot/iso-template.tar.gz /usr/lib/iso-snapshot/iso-template.tar.gz.BAK
2) unpack iso-template.tar.gz and replace the back*.jpg imagefiles residing in ...boot/syslinux and in ...boot/isolinux with your custom images
3) repack the archive
4) launch isosnapshot (aka mx-snapshot)

Interesting, but too late for this one, I consider it ready to use, except some little bugs, that if you are aware of you can either fix it manually after install, or maybe could you fix it in the system (where, how?)

One bug is I can't get the fonts the color I want them to be, neither with Grub-customizer, nor in / etc/default + update-grub,

the other bug, is that after doing a new ISO and installing it (in virtualbox), the hosts and hostname don't match. there is / etc/hosts which still has the original host name, while / etc/hostname has the new hostname provided during install and of course this triggers obvious error messages in the console.

This one ISO was made using the"backup purpose" method, because the one I did right before that using the"remaster" method booted the live up to a black desktop with a nice X as a mouse cursor and no right-click menu, no nothing.

Anyway : the name of the user is"fluffyx", the user password is fluffyx, and the root password is toor.

I'll paste the link to the download as soon as it will be online, so if you are interested to test it, and improve it : please do!

About backgrounds : the live boot stanzas are the default from antiX, the live desktop background is a Qimo bg, same for the desktop after install and the Grub background after install is also from the Qimo package (got it at the Ubuntu repos).

There are also some added tricks for the fonts to look nice, so they should look nice and consistant in any personal computer, even with crummy chipsets, such as Sis or others.
skidoo
sure, when available, I'll boot the iso and check it out.
If you wish, you can still apply a custom bootscreen background before sharing an already-made pendrive
by replacing the copies of back*.jpg residing within the /boot/syslinux and /boot/isolinux directories.
skidoo
bootmenu colors, submenus, etc...
I suspect you would need to retrieve

url was:"https://github.com/BitJam/antiX-Gfxboot"
linktext was:"https://github.com/BitJam/antiX-Gfxboot"
(AFAIK, its use, in terms of building, is undocumented) and edit the"source" files, then build a new
gfxboot.c32 (cpio archive file?)
^--- and THAT resides within the iso-template which you'll first need to unpack...
the other bug, is that after doing a new ISO and installing it (in virtualbox), the hosts and hostname don't match.
there is / etc/hosts which still has the original host name,
while / etc/hostname has the new hostname provided during install and of course this triggers obvious error messages in the console.
As a betatester, it never occurred to me to test changing the hostname.
I don't know whether what you're describing (unchanged line(s) in /etc/hosts) represents a bug.
Shouldn't expect a casual user to delve into iso-template and self-edit the hosts file...
...but, if the desired hostname is changing (no line in the .conf file for this?) the snapshot program could
assist the user (by prompting, and opening the working_dir copy of etc/hosts in a text editor) during the workflow.
melodie
skidoo wrote:sure, when available, I'll boot the iso and check it out.
If you wish, you can still apply a custom bootscreen background before sharing an already-made pendrive
by replacing the copies of back*.jpg residing within the /boot/syslinux and /boot/isolinux directories.
Thanks but I don't have opportunities to share a bootable pendrive. However, if you can make the spin perfect and re-upload it, I am willing to provide a mirror to share it on the web. For now, the ISO is available here:

url was:"http://downloads.linuxvillage.org/antiX/"
linktext was:"http://downloads.linuxvillage.org/antiX/"

Have fun!