anticapitalista
Site Admin
Upgraded bugfix versions (pae and non-pae) of MX-14 are now available.
This version has fixed some bugs found in MX-14.2 and Debian upstream.
Major applications have been upgraded.
We have added some new features eg MX-Tools.

MX-14.3 is based on Debian Wheezy and therefore uses sysVinit.
Now that Debian has frozen Jessie and has moved to systemd, MX-14.3 offers a rock-solid ststemd-free
experience for those that would prefer to stick with sysVinit.
MX-14 series will be supported until the end of life of Debian Wheezy.

Features/changes since MX-14.2

* In order to fit on a cd, java was removed. It is easy to install via mx-packageinstaller.
* Upgraded to 3.14-0.bpo.2 kernel.
* New MX-Tools application.
* New MX-findshares
* New libparted2
* galculator upgraded to version 2.1.3
* iceweasel upgraded to version 31.2.0esr-3~deb7u1
* libreoffice upgraded to version 4.3.3~rc2-1
* upgraded minitube to version 2.2
* upgraded vlc to version 2.1.5
* upgraded xfburn to version 0.5.2
* upgraded yad to version 0.26.1
* improvements to mx-snapshot tool for building a live iso of your running system.
* updated documentation.
* Much improved localisation.

Available here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/MX-14.3/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... l/MX-14.3/"
====================================

Many thanks to all involved in this release. I would like to thank in particular the translation team for their
hard work in ensuring MX is available in as many languages as possible.

Enjoy!

anticapitalista, Thessaloniki, Greece (03 December, 2014)
Jerry
And then there's MX-14.3, DO's new movie:

Jerry
I would like to thank in particular the translation team for their hard work in ensuring MX is available in as many languages as possible.
Interestingly, the pae downloads for the first 8 hours were 50% from Italy--kind of tells you something, eh? Build it and they will come...
thriftee
Another interesting thing is that over 1/3 of the downloads are non-pae, ie running systems even older than my old Dell Inspiron 8100, which was built in 2001
fatmac
I think the non-pae figures don't fully relate to the type of machine they are being run on, it is the lowest common version that can be used on all types of machine with less than 4Gb ram.
(Of the machines I own, 1 has 4GB, 1 has 2GB, & the rest have 1GB a piece.)
masinick
I'm getting a 500 error at the SourceForge site today; hope that is only temporary!
anticapitalista wrote:Upgraded bugfix versions (pae and non-pae) of MX-14 are now available.
This version has fixed some bugs found in MX-14.2 and Debian upstream.
Major applications have been upgraded.
We have added some new features eg MX-Tools.

MX-14.3 is based on Debian Wheezy and therefore uses sysVinit.
Now that Debian has frozen Jessie and has moved to systemd, MX-14.3 offers a rock-solid ststemd-free
experience for those that would prefer to stick with sysVinit.
MX-14 series will be supported until the end of life of Debian Wheezy.

Features/changes since MX-14.2

* In order to fit on a cd, java was removed. It is easy to install via mx-packageinstaller.
* Upgraded to 3.14-0.bpo.2 kernel.
* New MX-Tools application.
* New MX-findshares
* New libparted2
* galculator upgraded to version 2.1.3
* iceweasel upgraded to version 31.2.0esr-3~deb7u1
* libreoffice upgraded to version 4.3.3~rc2-1
* upgraded minitube to version 2.2
* upgraded vlc to version 2.1.5
* upgraded xfburn to version 0.5.2
* upgraded yad to version 0.26.1
* improvements to mx-snapshot tool for building a live iso of your running system.
* updated documentation.
* Much improved localisation.

Available here:

url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/MX-14.3/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... l/MX-14.3/"

Many thanks to all involved in this release. I would like to thank in particular the translation team for their
hard work in ensuring MX is available in as many languages as possible.

Enjoy!

anticapitalista, Thessaloniki, Greece (03 December, 2014)
masinick
Finally got something to access at this link:

url was:"http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/MX-14.3/MX-14.3-non-pae.iso/download?use_mirror=hivelocity"
linktext was:"http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-l ... hivelocity"

that is the non PAE version in my case.
masinick
fatmac wrote:I think the non-pae figures don't fully relate to the type of machine they are being run on, it is the lowest common version that can be used on all types of machine with less than 4Gb ram.
(Of the machines I own, 1 has 4GB, 1 has 2GB, & the rest have 1GB a piece.)
I agree; most I have on my old home systems is 2 GB so I do not need PAE kernels. But another possible issue is the site itself. SourceForge wouldn't deliver up today and I had to hunt the Web. Finally a search engine took me directly to a link, and it was the non PAE version, so I snagged it before it went away and now I have the image!

Hope we get this on some more servers; Source Forge wasn't very friendly today, to say the least!
Jerry
Thanks for the notice! We're waiting for Warren's servers to come online with it. But you never know when/if that's going to happen so maybe we should look for a different alternative.
masinick
Jerry wrote:Thanks for the notice! We're waiting for Warren's servers to come online with it. But you never know when/if that's going to happen so maybe we should look for a different alternative.
That would seem wise; I only found a download URL that worked because I was persistent and looked for downloads via search engines in addition to the stuff mentioned here. I nearly snagged 14.2 instead, but persistence paid off. But with the huge drop off in the visibility of both MEPIS and antiX, anything that can be done to keep them both out there is helpful; they're still as solid as a rock!

I'm running MEPIS 11.9.92, essentially on the shoestrings of the Wheezy update and backport repos and yet it works beautifully. The initial MX-14 instance I have is so flawless that I didn't even look for updates until a friend mentioned 14.3 when I was imploring him to try out MX-14. Then there's my own heavily customized antiX Core; I just don't have to go anywhere to figure anything out; I've engineered what I want myself.

All three are great options, depending on what people need. I'd still like to see a vanilla antiX make it out soon; I can tweak those to my heart's content, but I also recognize that these MX-14 images are an excellent compromise between what Warren used to offer and what anti likes to build. To tell you the truth, it's pretty close to my antiX Core, except my Core uses Sid, not current-Stable.

To each their own, there's something here for a lot more people than we get here, but if the download mirrors are misbehaving, maybe that's all for the best until that can be resolved. I've been trying to get Desktop Linux Reviews to give this stuff a good look, maybe that'll happen soon too.
Jerry
OK, we have a Google Drive download site up now for the pae version, which gets twice the traffic that non-pae does. That should help.
hhellerkamp
i've tested MX-14.3 with an usb-live-install (on Sempron 3000+ and Intel Core2 Duo E6550 systems); but my umts-sticks (ZTE K3772-Z and Huawei E3131) will not be recognized - only as CDR.
with MX-14.2 it funktioned ...! a bug??
masinick
antiX MX-14.3 is now installed on my Gateway 2000 Series Model PA6A 17" portable. I previously successfully installed antiX MX-14 on a Lenovo 3000 Series Model Y410; both have previously run numerous versions of MEPIS and antiX, so no regressions here and that is of course a good thing! __{{emoticon}}__

Everything I've tried works flawlessly.
Last edited by masinick on 07 Dec 2014, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
caprea
@hhellerkamp
I don't have any problems with my Huawei E160E umts-stick on both systems (laptop a. desktop)I tried.
Jerry
@hhellerkamp: did you use network-manager (icon in taskbar) > Mobile Broadband > Add ?