topic title: Music tastes.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Let us know about your music tastes.

I'm very eclectic, listening to music ranging from classical to hip-hop.

Particular favourites at the moment.

Hip-hop: Immortal Technique, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, KRS-One, 2pac, The Coup.
Rock: Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, The Wedding Present, Magazine.
Soft 'n Smooth: Sade, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, The Durutti Column.
eriefisher
My favorite stuff is from the late 60's and early 70's (psychedelic/classic rock) but as long as it's rock and roll I love it. Not much into the hip-hop or rap, just don't have an ear for it. I was just listening to Temptation, by The Tea Party. My all time favorite would have to be Pink Floyd without question.
dark-D
i listen to A LOT on music. i currently have 5000 mp3's that i'm collecting since 1998. many cassettes and cd's are gone, or stolen for me so i guess most of it is pirated music __{{emoticon}}__ my absolute favorites are:
hip-hop: 2pac, dr.dre, run dmc, cypress hill, n.w.a., snoop dogg first album, x-zibit, nana, eminem first 2 albums,(1080) 100% HipHop - The 100 Best Songs Ever,grand master flash and the furious five- the message, snap - the power, house of pain - jump and m.o.p. - cold as ice
rock: cradle of filth, evanescence,gun's and roses,iron maiden,limp bizkit, marilyn manson, nightwish, pantera, queen, rammstein,slipknot ,system of a dawn, the doors, Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall and billy idol - speed.
various: gipsy kings, moby, prodigy, bob marley, ub40, inner circle,20 years on mtv, amy winehouse, faithless, mariah carey the old stuff, michael jackson, scarface soundtrack.

anti i didn't listen to Immortal Technique because i hate the current hip-hop and i don't have a source of finding out good underground music. i don't think i'm gonna find his albums in stores here so i'll search his albums on the net and listen to it . i like the wikipedia stuff about him. .
OU812
Music is my life. Mostly I listen to hard rock and metal from the 70's and 80's. I also enjoy prog rock, classic rock, psychedelic rock, and the so-called hair bands of the late 80's. I still enjoy grunge,"alternative," and some punk. It's also nice to listen to some jazz, blues, classical, and 50's and 60's music, too.

I'm trying to get into country, but it's a slow process. I tried rap, but I didn't get it. I did find a coolio song that I dug and some cypress hill. I guess my musical tastes were pretty well forged before rap exploded in the late 80's. Oh, and absolutely no to dance, techno, etc. music.

I get most of my music at used record stores. I also subscribe to emusic. There's also a few rock blogs that have some stuff I like. My friend is a rock critic so once in a blue moon a get a few promos (old by the time I get them).

Almost forgot, I love streamtuner. (Although I like the listings I get from vlc a little better.)

Thanks for asking.

john
Last edited by OU812 on 22 Jul 2008, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
lucky9
OU812 if you ever watched the movie Ricochet, the soundtrack of the movie 'Ricochet!' may give some insight. The title song is what Rap should be and was probably intended to be. Poetry set to music. Which is what all good music is. I don't listen to much Rap, but when I hear Ricochet! it sends quivers up my spine.

Otherwise I'm also pretty eclectic. Bach and Beethoven. Pink Floyd, The Beatles and others of that timeframe. Garth Brooks and his contemporaries. Blues, HipHop, Jazz. Mile Davis, Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley. I could go on and on.
TLeeNorris
Anything with a Piano, a Bass, and a Violin... Maybe even a Fat Lady singing..... A guitar and a beer.... An Electric Slide, some drums, an Electric Organ and some guys with Big Hair...
Some angry Seattle band.. Some guys from Cali dressed like LightBulbs.. A county singer from Beaumont Texas.... that guy on the corner, with a harmonica and an old 5 string..
Rebel
Country western music is for me. It can tell a story..depending on the writer. I am a real Martina McBride fan. Also Shania Twain, and Leann Rimes. Different strokes fer different folks! __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
PhantomTramp
Leningrad Cowboys, Planet X, Zappa, any D.C. Go-Go music. Any good acoustic guitar music in alternate tunings (M. Hedges, Joni Mitchell, S. Colvin).

The Tramp

__{{emoticon}}__
JawsThemeSwimming428
This may be slightly off topic but I am looking for a good iTunes alternative for downloading music (legally). Preferably one that works well with Linux (mainly Mepis, antiX, and Arch) and Windows Vista (asking a lot I know) and is DRM free. All input welcome!
TLeeNorris
Amazon MP3 downloader has a Linux version, is DRM free and works with my MP3 player. I do not have an IPOD, but I assume you can just drop & drag, thats what I do.
OU812
I like emusic.com. There is also a linux version of the download manager called emusicj (available at linux.softpedia.com), but it does require jre.

john
JawsThemeSwimming428
Thanks, I will check those out. Any others?
rayburn
Well, like you anticapitalista, my taste is eclectic too, and funnily enough also includes The Wedding Present and Bloc Party.

Others include bands like Mazzy Star, The Sundays and even a little Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen.

There is so much good music out there if you are prepared to dig around a little - YouTube is great for browsing new bands.
JawsThemeSwimming428
OU812 wrote:I like emusic.com. There is also a linux version of the download manager called emusicj (available at linux.softpedia.com), but it does require jre.

john
With emusic when I try to sign up it makes me sign up for a plan? I just want to be able to download individual DRM free mp3's at my leisure, not a set amount. Is this possible with emusic?
Sakasa
Hard rock, heavy metal, Spanish pop' 90 Disco, Solo electric Guitar, opera, Merenge, Salsa and some English pop, Instrumental and Andino flute music.

Favorites: Scorpions, Rata Blanca, Ozzy, Boston, Metallica, Nino Bravo, Camilo Sexto, Isabel Pantoja.

Others: Billy Idol, Depeche mode.

Mysel I like to use Amarok as a player.

Best Regards,