dln9
I am running antiX 8.5 on a USB flash drive using icewm. I ran across a problem that conky was not starting with the options I selected via the control centre. I eventually found that there are four versions of conkyrc:

/aufs/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc

/aufs/home/user/.conkyrc

/persist-root/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc

/persist-root/home/.conkyrc

I found that while the control centre was - I believe - updating /aufs/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc with my changes, the startup of antiX was using /persist-root/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc (I think), which did *not* pick up the changes I made via the control centre to /aufs/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc. When I manually made the same changes to /persist-root/home/user/.icewm/conkyrc, then conky started up with the options I wanted used.

Is this the expected behavior?

Why are there four versions of this file?

What is supposed to be keeping them identical?

If this is a problem, what should I be doing to make antiX make the four files remain in sync?

Are there other files I should be expecting to see having this problem?

Thanks.
secipolla
anti, will be probably answering this right now but I'll answer too.
The /aufs... ones are the original ones from the ISO and the persist... ones are the ones that are modifiable and that efectively work.
The"problem" is that the Control Center is setup to make changes for the normal installation, all you have to do is gksu geany /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh, find the command to edit Conky and change the path to the way you want.

This Control Center editing was very common for me with antiX even in a normal installation since it edits ~/.conkyrc and if you have that file somewhere else you have to tweak the CC (you can even remove that button if you like and add the path to conkyrc to the entries"Configure IceWM" and"Configure Fluxbox" as an example).
dln9
Thanks.

Does this situation exist only with conky? Or, are there other configuration type files that I will stumble across that are in this kind of situation?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The persist-root folder is actually on a separate partition. When you use the rootfs cheat for persistence, antiX boots and includes the changes made, stored in rootfs. Any changes you make when using rootfs is automatically saved into rootfs so on next reboot it persists. The /aufs part is how the live iso is able to write during the live session, but it will not be saved on next reboot unless rootfs (or homefs for /home files) had already been chosen at boot.

In the future, antiX will probably simplify this so that there would be no need to have a separate rootfs partition.
dln9
Thank you. A couple followup questions.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean when you write,"When you use the rootfs for persistence...." I don't know what that means. Nothing ever asked/asks me about a"rootfs". How do I learn what that means, and how I currently have things set up, and how I can then control/edit it?

Also - What I think I do understand from what you wrote is that when attempting to maintain persistence, the stuff in the persistent-root folder is what controls things. But, I've seen other configuration files in the persistent-root folder besides the configuration file for conky. I've made other alterations to other configuration files via the control centre besides conky. So, why did I have problems with persistence with my attempted changes to conky only, and not the other stuff (e.g, the preferences and toolbar configuration files)?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
2. Because you probably edited the wrong conky file at first. One conky file in .icewm folder is not used, but was included so users could customise their 'desktop' with a different conky file in fluxbox and icewm for example. The one .conkyrc is the one that should be edited and will stick on reboot.

1. When you installed antiX to usb, the default option is to include persistence. There are 2 types. homefs which will only save changes made in the username directory and rootfs which saves everything including changes made in /home.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Using_liveusb_with_persistence"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Using_ ... ersistence"
====================================

has a little bit of information.
rokytnji
I think my Conky Thread might make understanding easier for you dln9. Then again. Maybe Not.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/701sd-conky-with-temps-fanspeed-battery-link-strength-t2618.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/701sd-conky ... t2618.html"
====================================