Monitor gets "out of range" when the display wants to start

susavane1
Hello dear antiX helpers,
I wanted to connect another (older monitor,"Videoseven") to my antiX pc, it boots normally,
but when the display wants to start I hear a"klick" and the monitor turns black
with message"out of range". I tried different bootoptions like nomodeset, failsafe,
noxorg, but it is always the same.
How can I solve that problem? I hope for some helpful answers.
Thank you and greetings,
Susanne

__{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Check vga connection first. I had a flaky connection/connector doing that till I figured it out.
susavane1
Hi rokytnji,
if you mean the cable connection between monitor and computer, it is okay. It works with other computers as well.
Fortunately I've got another monitor and that one works.
So the problem is not so urgent at the moment.
Greetings,
Susanne

__{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
I am talking about where the plug in (vga connector) on the back of the non working monitor can be flaky.

Dust inside monitor can insulate internal pin connectors on the vga plug causing electrical voltage inputs not to get
to the screen. Hope you understand what I mean. I have a motorcycle shop air compressor and after blowing out all the
dust bunnies inside the old crt monitor. It started working for me. I live in the desert so dust is a continual battle
for me and computer equipment.
susavane1
Thank you rokytnji,
as I said, it shows normal screen before and at boot, all the text appears, but
when the text says: login to slim (or so),
it klicks out to the message"out of range".
Greetings, Susanne

__{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
BitJam
This problem when starting the X server is most likely due to your old monitor not supporting the autodetect feature where a monitor will tell the computer which frequency ranges it can accept.

To solve this you will need to use an xorg.conf file (in the / etc/X11 directory) and put the frequency range information for your monitor in there. You also have to find out what frequencies your monitor supports. You could try Googling the make and model name along with"xorg.conf" or just"xorg".

It would be much easier to just use a monitor that does support autodetection which seems to be exactly what you did.
secipolla
It would be like this. Create / etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-monitor.conf like

Code: Select all

Section"Monitor"
    Identifier    "Monitor0"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    ModelName     "DELL E773c"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
#    Option        "DPMS""off"
EndSection
But replacing with the proper values (vendor and model names ain't mandatory, identifier is). The manual for the monitor has its supported refresh rates.