topic title: Milky IceWM
OU812
Hello. I know that the mac look isn't for everybody, me included. However, I really dig the milky look. The style is called"smoothy-feelings" (freshmeat), but I modified it by using the fonts from the elox (freshmeat) style. The gtk2 theme is milke (gnome-look) and the xmms skin is pod (customize.org). Also, the icon set is called ultimate gnome (gnome-look). Hope you like it.

john
JawsThemeSwimming428
Nice theme, definitely gonna give it a go for a few days and see if I like it for daily use. Thanks!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Nice theme, but I think it goes better with a plain background, greyish or black.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:Nice theme, but I think it goes better with a plain background, greyish or black.
That's why themes, wallpapers, and user interface designs vary so much, they are very much a personal preference thing. I love the work that OU812 (John) does, and I like the creativity of our wallpaper friend, Sakasa. Every now and then, a few others come up with cool stuff as well. I tend to like either stuff with grass and a mostly blue sky or a shoreline with a nice waterfront and water. I don't like REAL BRIGHT colors, but I don't like stuff that is either almost all black or all white.

PCLinuxOS surprised me a while ago, though. They had a design that had a lot of black in it with a background of small squares - I think it was mostly blue and black. The MEPIS 8 theme that I found on Beta 2 looks pretty appealing, too. But I think that John's IceWM setup that he came up with right around M7.5 when it came out and that harbor view that I believe is in Fluxbox are two of my favorites. The only things I like better are pictures of my two children. They take very nice photos, and pictures of them in the fall in New Hampshire are particularly nice!
eriefisher
The only thing I would change is the menu font if that is possible. Keep it in line with the rest.
mariel77
Very Nice!

I still have to work out how to install new themes. My system doesn't seem to see new ones if I put them in ~/.fluxbox/themes for example (or in the .icewm folder). I have to put them in the appropriate /usr/share/... folder instead. So I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

It also seems to me that I need to put different parts of a theme in different folders: themes, .icons, wallpaper. Is this correct?
I haven't read the fluxbox manual, but tried with the .icewm manual. I put all the themes in both /home and /usr/share/icewm and then I could see them.
OU812
For fluxbox, you need a separate menu entry for your user themes (~/.fluxbox/styles - can't remember the exact name). For your icewm themes, you need to have the folder ~/.icewm/themes (icewm should pick this up automatically). As for icon subfolders, etc. I would download and unpack a few themes and study their components to get an idea of how they work. (In fact, I usually d/l the compacted files, unpack them in ~/.icewm/themes, and leave everything there.)

john
mariel77
Thanks for the tips. One of the themes I tried must either not work with fluxbox or be corrupted; I downloaded it a long time ago. And the other was only an icon theme, I think. __{{emoticon}}__
So now I understand that the 3 places to add fluxbox theme componenets:
~/.fluxbox/styles
~/.icons
~/Wallpaper

and icewm themes go in:
~/.icewm/themes
~/Wallpaper

Thanks again!
OU812
And if you see some nice gtk2 themes, you need:

~/.themes

john
mariel77
Thank you so much!!!
That's what I've been missing.
dark-D
good advices john. one problem on my behave. lxappearance dosen't see the .icons and .themes folder in sux mode. how can i make it do this? i want the same theme for user and super user.
eriefisher
Copy /home/username/.gtkrc-2.0 file to /root as root. There should already be one there if there is rename it with ******.bak so it doesn't get overwritten. Logout and then in and both themes should be the same.
dark-D
didn't work, it changed the font and nothing else. there wasn't a .gtkrc-2.0 file in /root. same goes for rox it dosen't see the .icons folder. i like to make them work. i'm tired of copying them on every install in /usr/share/...
OU812
I usually copy the ~/.themes folders etc to root's folder. Then launch lxappearance, etc. as root to choose themes, etc. Perhaps you could just create some symlinks in root's folder?

john
eriefisher

11 Oct 2008, 11:26 #15

The themes and icons in your /home folder belong to you. For other users to make use of them including root they either need to be in /usr/share/themes or copies of them in all other users /home directory. For root this would be /root, for other users it would be /home/username.