dolphin_oracle
I'm messing around with a frugal install, and just for fun, the install is on an existing windows xp partition (ntfs).

The install setup goes fine, and the persistence files are created, but the save state features and the persistence rysnc don't seem to work at all. On the persistence files, it also doesn't work static. Incindently, the rysnc persist-save routine claims success...
eric52
Fun? Well, good to know. I don't frugal install antiX. I tried it a couple times and with MX-14. Persistence problems with both, and frankly the OS is too full-fledged for half a nest. I do install Puppy on a frugal basis, because that is what it's designed for. On a NTFS partition, Puppy makes a fixed-size squash file to save in and formats it to ext2-4. Users frequently have to enlarge the volume. Normal start is 512M, but you can elect up to 8G. If you choose the latter, any backups are 8G. Perhaps this is due to some inherent NTFS-3G limitation, but I think there's more involved. Puppy works better on ext2-4 because it doesn't have to use the formatted volume approach in a native environment. Anyhow, Barry Kauler probably set things up this way to preclude problems, and no one has improved on it. I don't think antiX is as conservative in its approach, and my experience convinced me not to try to make it work.
cwilliams
I haven't tried a frugal install , but would it require ntfs-3g and fuse to access the ntfs properly?
Maybe they don't get installed automatically.
Just throwing mud to see if something sticks....
Colin
anticapitalista
Site Admin
frugal install to ntfs should work for most part. I haven't tried static, but used 'normal persistence' and it worked ok with some minor issues mentioned re static files. Mind you I got the same errors with vfat partition as well.