BlueBox
First off I have to say I am loving AntiX!

Installed on a 7 year old Dell Inspiron 1100. Celeron 2.0 GHz Processor, 256 RAM, and 30G HD. Yes this model has always had weird issues with the screen, over heating, and a cooling fan that sounded like a turbo prop, but I always loved it. Been a very good laptop over the years.

Discovered linux a few years back with Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger). And fell in love with xfce as a window manager. But over the years the things I liked about both have changed. Both have bloated. The icon-less, right click only, slim and fast xfce of the past has bloated as well. Slightly faster than gnome but not by much.

Wanted to give new life to the old laptop. Came pre-installed with XP, always ran but never very fast. Newer versions of xubuntu ran about the same as XP. Tried puppy but didn't like. Ran across AntiX and gave it a whorl with 8.5 Base.

LOVE IT!

Clean, FAST, and it just works. Never used fluxbox before but think it is awesome. Like a brand new computer.

But of course as with any new install, do have two minor issues.

It did not find my ethernet card at first. Have a broadcom BCM4401 100base-t.
Edited my /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf to:
install b43 true
#install b44 true
#install ssb true

Opened ceni and there it was. BUT now every time I restart the computer the internet doesn't work. I have to reopen ceni (which see's the card) and then just hit enter a couple of times to reconfigure each and every time. Not sure how to fix that.

Also, sound and everything else works but not power management. It doesn't go to sleep if I shut the lid. Just keeps running.

Any ideas on how to fix these two minor issues?
Last edited by BlueBox on 25 Oct 2010, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
bluebox,

Welcome to antiX,

f you have the BCM 4401-B0 ethernet you will need to comment out these lines: in /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf as root.

ssb true b44 true

then: modprobe ssb && modprobe b44

then restart ceni.

The other issue, I have some notes for and will have to reference them and get back to you on how to get it to sleep.

edit:
Here's a link to get you started on the sleep issue
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2713

cheers,
ohh
BlueBox
oldhoghead wrote:bluebox,
if you have the BCM 4401-B0 ethernet you will need to comment out these lines: in /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf as root.

ssb true b44 true

then: modprobe ssb && modprobe b44

then restart ceni.
Yea I know, already did that. Is the way I got ceni to see the card in the first place and get the internet to work. My problem is every time I boot I have to open ceni and go through the reconfigure each and every time. It see's the card, but have to open it and hit enter a couple of time, then everything works fine until I turn it off or restart.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Ok,

Well, that's all I have to do to get it working on my old dell 700m, the other choice is to use wicd,
do you have it installed?

If so have a look here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Howto_articles#Wicd"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Howto_articles#Wicd"
====================================

wicd and ceni will coexist together so give it a try and see if that helps.

cheers,
ohh
BlueBox
Don't have a wireless card.

Not a deal breaker, but just kind of annoying that I have to:

Network--> Network interfaces (ceni)--> click on ethernet--> accept

Everytime I boot.

It is compounded by the fact that it will not go to sleep so when I am done have to just shut it down. Which means when I turn it back on have to go through connecting again...
dolphin_oracle
don't let the name fool you, wicd will also manage your wired connection. I use it by default just because I like it. You could also try mnetwork.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
BlueBox,

After rereading your first post, I realize that I missed the fact that you are running antiX base, any chance you could dl and install the full antiX 8.5, it comes with wicd installed and wicd's default is for wired. Of course if you want you can install it via cl as root.

apt-get update
apt-get install wicd

and then set up your wired connection and see if it will stick.

cheers,
ohh
BlueBox
oldhoghead wrote:you can install it via cl as root.

apt-get update
apt-get install wicd

and then set up your wired connection and see if it will stick.
Thanks! That did the trick. Sorry for that, I thought wicd was only for wireless cards. But regardless still fixed it.

One down, just need to figure out how to make it go to sleep...
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Great, glad that fixed it.

For your sleep issue, first I would try to add the following as root in terminal

apt-get update
apt-get install acpi-support acpi-support-base acpid libacpi0

after install run in terminal as root

updatedb
when the prompt returns close terminal and see if sleep works, if not try a reboot and retry sleep.

If that does not fix it, then you will need to add to your menu.lst (that's an L not a 1)
resume=/dev/sdaX

where sdaX represents your swap partition, it may be hda2 or sda4 or whatever, if you don't know then
run in terminal as root to identify your swap partition.

blkid

or

fdisk -l

Then run still in terminal as root

dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp

answer with the default to all questions except the splashy answer no for it.

then reboot and try closing the lid.

If that does not work then try using the options for exit

both the suspend and hibernate options to verify if they now work.
if when you return from suspend you only have a black screen, then hit ctrl-alt-f1, then hit ctrl-alt-f7 and you should have your screen back. Sort of a convulted hack, but there are so many variations with hardware, components, etc. that on linux you have to go the extra mile to get some things to work since all the specs were written for MS and not open source.
anyway, hope this helps.

cheers,
ohh
BlueBox
Thanks for the info but unfortunately none of that worked.
oldhoghead wrote: If that does not work then try using the options for exit

both the suspend and hibernate options to verify if they now work.
Guess it is because I have the 8.5-base, but exit options are only (shutdown, logout, and reboot). Just downloaded 8.5-Full iso, will start fresh with a full install of that and see if I can work the kinks out. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if I get it working.
BlueBox
Did a fresh install of AntiX 8.5-FULL rather than the base. There must be a lot more differences than I thought.

Changed my modprobe file as last time and internet worked instantly. Didn't even have to configure it.
Goes to sleep on command and wakes up with a quick tap of the power button.

Everything works like a champ.

Thanks for all the help!