plvera
Hello:
I did an apt-get update and upgrade while still having the default testing and MEPIS repos open (yes, I forgot about the earlier warnings) and the system is still running. However, I noticed that ALL my file associations have been lost in fluxbox. Also, I thought there use to be an option so that once you found the appropriate program to open a file it would stick, but I don't see that option anymore. It's kind of a pain to have to re-find every application for each file. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

thanks.
Pedro
secipolla
In ROX you can right-click a file and choose 'command to run' or 'run command', something like that.
For me it doesn't work when ROX is opened as root but as a normal user it's fine.
plvera
Hi Secipolla:
Yes, pcmanfm has the same thing, but somehow the association is not sticking, so it has to be done every time one opens the same type of file. I'll try it under rox and see if I have better luck (I used pcmanfm all the time; haven't spent that much time with rox).

thanks for the suggestion.
Pedro

Edit: Actually, the problem seems to be exclusively with pcmanfm, since the file associations all seem to work under rox. Odd, eh?
secipolla
In PCManFM you must right-click the file then choose 'Properties' and set the default app there.
plvera
Yes, that's what I remember as well. Except I don't see that option after the upgrade.
Thanks.
Pedro
secipolla
You're using stable repos?
The more recent ones have this option but the ancient ones not.

I'm using Debian sid and this option is present.
plvera
I was using the standard stable/testing mix that comes default with antix. I did an apt-get upgrade this way, not remembering the problems with testing. Then I discovered the problem with pcmanfm. BTW, wicd seems to have had an issue with the upgrade as well, but since my ethernet is working, I'm not concerned about it at this point.

Right now, I closed off testing (and MEPIS) and just running on stable repos.

thanks
Pedro
dark-D
pedro,

did you tried to right click on the file > open with > open with another program > then choose your program and check [X] set selected application to default action ?

also another guess of mine is that the mimeinfo for pcmanfm got deleted. can't remember where it is maybe in ~/.local/share/applications/default.list or mimeinfo.cache

found this :

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16760"
linktext was:"http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16760"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
it says that pcmanfm is to blame, there is an incompatibility between the filer and shared-mime-info, you should use pcmanfm 0.5.2 . i use rox and don't have pcmanfm installed so i can't test it.

HTH
Last edited by dark-D on 03 Jan 2010, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
plvera
Ice,
I'm running pcmanfm 0.5.1, and it does not have the option so select the app as default action. Thanks for the information about a possible bug and the link. I'll try to install the newer version but I wonder if it's in the stable repos, since I've closed off testing. In the meantime, I can use rox, I guess, although I much prefer pcmanfm.

Thanks for your help.
Pedro