dieselbenz
Got frustrated with Ubuntu 7.10 on my primary notebook computer (lost sound, got sound back, then sound was too soft to hear) so started experimenting. Have had good luck with PCLOS 2007 Gnome but couldn't get it to load due to hardware issues -- my DVD/CD-RW is an external and that particular distro seems to choke on it. (Confirmed by 'Net research.) Loaded the KDE version of PCLOS yesterday evening but it keeps locking up on me.

Decided to give Mepis another try. So far it is doing everything I want it to do. Only thing I haven't tried is watching streaming stuff on CNN but it worked okay on version 6.x so it should work now.

Only bad thing was that even though I told Mepis to preserve /home, it didn't and I lost all of my emails. Oh well, it was time to clean house in /home anyway and all of the really important stuff I lost is backed up on a memory stick.

My only issue with Mepis at the moment is that the fonts look"funky" -- even typing this. Might need to play with horizontal synch some, as what it detected isn't what I remember before. Saw the same thing using antiX but forget how I fixed it. Will experiment.
Jerry
Way to go! It's funny about MEPIS, people keep coming back to it, don't realize what they have until they leave...
Rebel
I agree...Fedora, SUSE,Knoppix, Ubuntu. I have tried them all and tried real real hard to"like" them....kept an"open mind". Like Jerry said..It's funny about MEPIS, people keep coming back to it, don't realize what they have until they leave... Yeah I could not agree more. dieselbenz...welcome!!
OU812
Zenwalk used to be the distro I kept returning to, but now it's antix. Although I still do enjoy using slackware-based distros. Right now I'm really liking wolvix installed alongside antix on my desktop.

john
mariel77
Hi, dieselbenz,

My fonts looked funky for awhile in mepis because I forgot to install the nvidia driver I needed. So checking your video settings is a good bet.
You could also look to see what the settings on the Fonts in KDE Control Settings are. Enable anti-aliasing, if it isn't, and some people have to force the fonts DPI to 96, I think.
dieselbenz
mariel77 wrote:Hi, dieselbenz,

My fonts looked funky for awhile in mepis because I forgot to install the nvidia driver I needed. So checking your video settings is a good bet.
You could also look to see what the settings on the Fonts in KDE Control Settings are. Enable anti-aliasing, if it isn't, and some people have to force the fonts DPI to 96, I think.
The problem seemed to sort itself out during one of the apt-get upgrades. The video card is Chips & Technologies 65555.