topic title: livin' on the edge
dieselbenz
Just copied the /etc/apt/sources.list from my antiX 7.2 full-Monty system onto my daily-driver Mepis 7.0 laptop. The apt-get update is done and the apt-get upgrade has 31 minutes left on the download.

Should be interesting.

If it chokes, I can reload Mepis 7.0 and preserve /home/.

If it works, I will have the"coolest" Mepis/KDE/Sid install (and probably also the only Debian install) within neighborhood wireless range.
masinick
dieselbenz wrote:Just copied the /etc/apt/sources.list from my antiX 7.2 full-Monty system onto my daily-driver Mepis 7.0 laptop. The apt-get update is done and the apt-get upgrade has 31 minutes left on the download.

Should be interesting.

If it chokes, I can reload Mepis 7.0 and preserve /home/.

If it works, I will have the"coolest" Mepis/KDE/Sid install (and probably also the only Debian install) within neighborhood wireless range.
I have every confidence that it is possible to get it working, and quite well at that. I have a number of sidux systems that run off the Sid base and every one of them works great. When anti started talking up using Sid with antiX I gave it a try and had good results. Since then, I have modified a couple of instances of antiX, which were at different release levels. All of them worked. On top of that, I have been experimenting with doing the same thing to one of my SimplyMEPIS instances and that has worked out pretty well, too. So with about a half dozen use cases to go by, I have reason to have this confidence. If you do run into any issues, though, let us know and I am sure that collectively we can help you through them.

Good luck, I think you are going to enjoy it!
dieselbenz
masinick wrote:If you do run into any issues, though, let us know and I am sure that collectively we can help you through them.

Good luck, I think you are going to enjoy it!
Only issue I encountered were some unresolved dependencies for OpenOffice applications after doing a dist-upgrade. Didn't have time to mess with it yesterday evening and perhaps it will fix itself next upgrade. And if not, it isn't a real problem since OpenOffice is working, just not bleeding edge.
masinick
smxi has been putting holds frequently on version mismatches with Open Office and a number of other packages. If you stick with using smxi going forward you should be all set.
dieselbenz
masinick wrote:smxi has been putting holds frequently on version mismatches with Open Office and a number of other packages. If you stick with using smxi going forward you should be all set.
Give me a how-to for smxi. (please)

By the way, I did a"fix broken packages" and resolved all but one minor issue. OpenOffice is no longer giving problems. Still one broken package but it is a library file I've never heard of.
masinick
Nothing magic about it. Easiest way to run it is right after startup. You can boot into run level 3 by appending a 3 to the boot line in the GRUB menu for any sidux kernel - and presumably it works with other kernels, but I know it works with GRUB and sidux kernels.

When you boot to run level 3, you get a console. Login as root. At the # command prompt or whatever you have the root prompt set to, just type in smxi and press Enter. From there, it will check to see if you have the latest kernel, and if not, offer to install it for you. Everything else is menu driven and pretty simple.

I'd just try it out and ask us if you run into any issues. Other than to learn command line options (and even those I rarely use) I have just run smxi, no big learning curve, just a simple, well documented upgrade path.

h2 can give you details if you want to know them.