anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you are seeing errors when upgrading live (frugal/persistence) like this

Code: Select all

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 165369 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../perl_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking perl (5.20.2-3+deb8u2) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/perl_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./usr/bin/pstruct' before installing new version: No such file or directory
Preparing to unpack .../libperl5.20_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libperl5.20 (5.20.2-3+deb8u2) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking perl-base (5.20.2-3+deb8u2) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./usr/bin/perl' before installing new version: No such file or directory
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/perl_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Next boot live with cheat plink and at desktop

apt-get -f install

From now on antiX will have plink enabled by default (to avoid such problems). If user wants to disable it, then a noplink cheat can be used.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:If you are seeing errors when upgrading live (frugal/persistence)...
Does this only affect those systems running antiX live or is it also relevant to systems using a conventional hard disk installation?
anticapitalista wrote:From now on antiX will have plink enabled by default (to avoid such problems). If user wants to disable it, then a noplink cheat can be used.
To help make a balanced decision on whether to enable or disable plink it will be useful to know something about the purpose plink serves in a default antiX, perhaps the use case description.
dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:If you are seeing errors when upgrading live (frugal/persistence)...
Does this only affect those systems running antiX live or is it also relevant to systems using a conventional hard disk installation?
anticapitalista wrote:From now on antiX will have plink enabled by default (to avoid such problems). If user wants to disable it, then a noplink cheat can be used.
To help make a balanced decision on whether to enable or disable plink it will be useful to know something about the purpose plink serves in a default antiX, perhaps the use case description.
This only applies to live/frugal. plink is an option of the aufs file system. it has something to do with the way the the filesystem handles links.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Only affects running live, not installed.

plink is connected to aufs (which is used to allow users to install apps when running during the live session). It stans for pseudo-link. Tech details here.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://aufs.sourceforge.net/aufs.html"
linktext was:"http://aufs.sourceforge.net/aufs.html"
====================================

Anyhow, skidoo had requested we default with noplink to save space and RAM usage when running/installing live.
There didn't appear to be any problems, until we noticed this bug. Not pleasant. Not using noplink does not make sense (now that we know) as a default choice.
SamK
Thanks both.

Because it affects only live running, will plink default to enabled only when running live and default to disabled when conventionally installed to disk?

If it is enabled for both live and installed, is there any downside or penalty to it being enabled on disk installations?
anticapitalista
Site Admin

Code: Select all

If it is enabled for both live and installed, is there any downside or penalty to it being enabled on disk installations?
None that we are aware of
dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:Thanks both.

Because it affects only live running, will plink default to enabled only when running live and default to disabled when conventionally installed to disk?

Since installed does not use aufs, there is no effect either way.
SamK
Thanks again.
skidoo
Thanks for preserving the option to choose aufs noplink via cheatcode. At this point though, overlayfs seems completely stable
and it supports multiple writable branches, so I'm migrating away from aufs.