malanrich
Is it too late to suggest a lite app for antiX-M7?

I've just installed a very lite and useful outliner in Spartacus: TreeLine. Located here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.bellz.org/treeline/"
linktext was:"http://www.bellz.org/treeline/"
====================================

I use this sort of thing all the time. There's nothing like this in antiX (at least I've never found one). It's a simple install, but new users might appreciate having it ready to go from the fluxbox menu. Only, I don't know if the new antiX will have the necessary requirements. Here's what's needed:

Qt Version 2.3 or Version 3.x
Python Version 2.3 or higher
PyQt Version 2.4 or higher (see Riverbank for more information)
An XML parser is required, such as the expat library or the PyXML package
If spell checking capability is desired, either the aspell (preferred) or ispell programs are required (these are packaged with most distributions)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello malanrich

I noticed it is in debian testing (ie antiX-M7 repos) so an

apt-get install treeline

is all that is needed (or synaptic of course).

It will bring in pythonQT and add about 25MB to the install.

If it keeps antiX less than or equal to 300MB and doesn't 'bloat it' (it doesn't appear too) then I'll put it in.
malanrich
Thanks for the followup, anti.

I assume the 25 MB is mostly python (treeline is real dinky). I know pretty much nothing about python's functionality, but it pops up all the time in order to run various Linux apps. Wouldn't it normally be included in any distro?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
# apt-get install treeline
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libqt3-mt python python-qt3 python-sip4 python-support python2.4
Suggested packages:
libqt3-mt-psql libqt3-mt-mysql libqt3-mt-odbc python-doc python-tk
python-profiler python-qt3-gl python-qt3-doc python2.4-doc
Recommended packages:
aspell ispell
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libqt3-mt python python-qt3 python-sip4 python-support python2.4 treeline
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.0MB of archives.
After unpacking 42.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

This is from antiX-M7-rc2 to a rc3/final with treeline.

It is too big to include. There is python stuff in antiX but not the python qt (kde) stuff.

So it won't be included, sorry.

But it is very easy to install, and configuring the fluxbox app isn't too bad.
malanrich
Yes, anti, I'd already thought TreeLine was not as lite as it needed to be.

Still, an outliner of some kind is so useful it would be nice to get one into the package if possible. I've just done a quick survey of apps. If we're not going to have kjots, I'd say good old Tuxcards is still the best thing going. It has far fewer user-defined functions than TreeLine, but it's more configurable than kjots.

Here's what the maker of Tuxcards says you need:

"You certainly need to use qt3.x.x. If you want to use RTF, I personally recommend to install qt3.0.5, at least. Since qt3.0.4 does have a bug in formating linebreaks.
I strongly recommend to use qt3.1.1 or above since the copying of text between notes has improved a lot."

I'm too noob to know whether this is any different from the TreeLine requirements. I checked it out with Spartacus and It installed easily. If it's too much for M7, no sweat. The installs in antiX are so simple, users should have no trouble.

When I make the move to M7 final, I'd like to put together a list of lite apps not included in the iso but easily installed, with whatever install instructions new users might need. Something like the old"tinyapps" website, which others can send suggestions to.

There are lots of great Linux apps out there, stuff that works well even if not in the repos. An example is concordance programs for people who work with literary or religious texts. Moreover, there is stuff that *is* in the repos but that new users are not normally aware of. So a page of"favorite lite apps" at the antiX site would be useful for everybody (I'm constantly discovering new things...).