Schnake
Hi guys....

After a hint from an user from the german Ubuntu foru, i came to antiX and i must said, its a rly nice Linux distribution __{{emoticon}}__

Well, i am very new on linux and not know everything...

So for first, my Laptop haven't a CD Rom Drive and so i install antiX on my PC, everything works fine, Except the Lan card.... If i start a test, only eth1 (i guess the modem, the Lan port is eth0) got found....

I use an Pcmia w-lan card (Netgear WG511 v2) and want to install the Windows driver with the tool"Windows Wlan driver". On ubuntu its work very well... I know that antiX is not ubuntu, but much stuff are the same, and so i think it can work on same, that what i used on ubuntu.... But without a Lan Card, cant come to the Synaptic Packet manager, and install the tool, for install the driver.....

What i want, is a hint to install the Lan card or directly the Wlan card

Thank you in Advance,
Schnake
plvera
Hello Schnake, and welcome to Antix!

In order to get a better idea of your system so that we can help with the problem, please post the output from typing inxi -F (in a terminal).

Someone will try to help with your problem.

Enjoy Antix!

Pedro
Schnake
Ok i hope u can read that... Dunno how to copy a text from terminal, so i make a screenshot....

And again in textform: Network 02:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82801BA/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller [8086:2449] (rev 03)

ty very much! __{{emoticon}}__
plvera
I have the same type of card in an old dell laptop. The ethernet card works fine, however, I can't get the wireless card to work with the new kernel. If you do get it work, please post how you did it.

One possibility is to install an older kernel that supports this card.

Maybe some one else has other suggestions. Good luck!
Schnake
Ok with the Lan card it was a so simple setting who i need to change.

The lan Card is eth1 and not 0, change the number and its work...

U want to use the same Wlan card? I am trying to install them, maybe can ndiswrapper usefull for u too DL link:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ndisgtk/ndisgtk_0.8.5-1_i386.deb"
linktext was:"http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/m ... 1_i386.deb"
====================================
plvera
I'm glad you got the card working. Thanks for the suggestion to use ndsiwrapper. I don't remember if I tried that or not. Maybe I'll try it again to see if it works.
Schnake
If i try to install the driver with it, i become following Error MSG:
-FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.32-1-mepis-smp/updates/dkms/ndiswrapper.ko): Unknow symbol in module, or unknow parameter (see dmesg)

Then ndiswrapper show me that the driver are installed and the hardware is found, but nothing more... I cant take any network setting, not on ndiswrapper, not with the RutiL Wlan manager and not with Wcis (hope i wrote it correctly ^^). Plus on the small control display, it not show me that a PCMIA card was inputted.... If i get more some issues, i write it here __{{emoticon}}__
plvera
Have you tried ceni to configure the card? Sometimes it works better. Good luck!
Schnake
Humm no, as i allready said, i'm very new on Linux __{{emoticon}}__

Where i used ubuntu, i just install the OS, make some settings due of graphic, install Java, Flashplayer, Wlan card Via ndsiwrapper and that it ^^

Dunno how to change kernell or the most Shell command, for the most i just asking google ^^
plvera
Ceni is very simple to use and a very good program. I'm pretty sure it's an option in the Antix menu, but I'm not running 8.5 right now so I can't check.

Anyway, if you want to try it, type ceni in a terminal and just follow the instructions and see if your wireless works.
wayne128
On antiX M8.5, ceni can be found at Application>Network
Schnake
so, take a look at ceni, and i only see on the hardware interface, the Lan card..... The driver are not installed correctly yet and thats why i can't using it......

Any idea??
plvera
Schnake,
I'm sorry but I don't have any more ideas. I gave up trying to get 8.5 to work with this wireless card. I know that earlier versions of Antix (8.0 and maybe even 8.2) worked perfectly with the card, so I suspect that it's a kernel issue.

If you want, you could install an earlier kernel and try it out. The easiest way to do that would be to use the smxi script that comes with Antix. Here's a link to the homepage for smxi which has detailed explanations on how it works:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://smxi.org/"
linktext was:"http://smxi.org/"
====================================

To get to the script, type ctl-alt-F1 (to get you of X windows), then at the prompt log in as root, and then type smxi. You will need to go through several screens and make several choices, before you get to the kernel options.

The script is very well behaved, but I managed to break Antix several (and repeated) times when I first started using it, so I became extremely good at re-installing Antix. It's just part of the learning process.

Maybe some one will have other ideas. Post if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Pedro
Schnake
Ok little update, i dont know how exactly what i made, but wireless work now...

I install some pakage for Network VIA Synaptic, Re-install the ndiswrapper (ndisgtk) and show some settings on shell, shor time after that, i saw that the Green LED is on, take a look on Ceni and saw that the Wlan card on them....

Go back to Wcis, wrote"wlan0" on wireless network interface, refresh the page and saw the Wlan network, connect and all done...

So, for ppl who have problem with this or the same Wlan Card, install the ndisgtk

Code: Select all

apt-get install ndisgtk
start it

ndisgtk
Put the Windows driver, exactly the .INF (if someone don't have the CD anymore, ask me, i can make a package)

Install following Pakage Via Synaptic, or Shell, ur choice:
-network-config
-net-tools

Put follow text on the shell

pccardctl info
That is all what i had do, dunno what exactly worked, but it does....
plvera
I'm glad you figured out a solution. Thanks for posting it.