topic title: LCD Monitor Problem
Sliphorn
I initially set up Antix with my old cathode ray monitor while I was awaiting the delivery of a lcd flat screen one. Everything worked fine on the old monitor, but when I boot up with the new one I end up with the message 'out of range' and a blank screen. (the first screen and the listings show ok).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Best to boot up the livecd with the new monitor and then /etc/X11/xorg.conf should automatically configure your new monitor.
If it is ok, then use the Configure X app in the Xwindow tab of antiX control centre, Repair tab and move the xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf on the hard drive (make a backup of the original xorg.conf on hard drive first)
Sliphorn
anticapitalista wrote:Best to boot up the livecd with the new monitor and then /etc/X11/xorg.conf should automatically configure your new monitor.
If it is ok, then use the Configure X app in the Xwindow tab of antiX control centre, Repair tab and move the xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf on the hard drive (make a backup of the original xorg.conf on hard drive first)
Do you mean type /etc/X11/xorg.conf next to where it says BOOT ?
rokytnji
Naw. I think he wants you to boot up live cd just normal like. Leave your install alone for the moment.

Open up pcman or rox as root.

I would go with pcman as it is easier for new AntiX users.

Code: Select all

gksu pcman
Maneuver to /etc/X11//xorg.conf on installed partition of AntiX on hardrive (not the live cd file yet. I would rename it /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup

Save changes. Now maneuver to you /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in your live cd session. Copy it over to /etc/X11 folkder. It should now be sitting next to your backuped copy of /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup.

Exit Pcman. Exit Terminal. Reboot. Pull CD. See if you boot to a screen on new LCD, My way is a crude way of doing it. You might want a member here with better steps chime in here first before you start. They might show you how it is done with the Control Center. Good luck with it.
secipolla
Sliphorn, if you understood what rokytnji said, that's it.

Basically when you boot the live cd it configures itself according with the hardware used so you should copy the live-cds xorg.conf (it's somewhere like /aufs/etc/X11/xorg.conf) to your hard drive installation (which is in /etc/x11/xorg.conf but in the hd's partition - you find it in the left column of pcmanfm).
As roky said you must open it as root (only he missed the last 'fm')

gksu pcmanfm
anti and roky are counseling you to before copying the file, to rename the original hd's xorg.conf to xorg.confbackup so you can have it as a reference for the changes.
Sliphorn
rokytnji wrote:
Naw. I think he wants you to boot up live cd just normal like. Leave your install alone for the moment.

Open up pcman or rox as root.

I would go with pcman as it is easier for new AntiX users.

gksu pcman
Maneuver to /etc/X11//xorg.conf on installed partition of AntiX on hardrive (not the live cd file yet. I would rename it /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup

Save changes. Now maneuver to you /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in your live cd session. Copy it over to /etc/X11 folkder. It should now be sitting next to your backuped copy of /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup.

Exit Pcman. Exit Terminal. Reboot. Pull CD. See if you boot to a screen on new LCD, My way is a crude way of doing it. You might want a member here with better steps chime in here first before you start. They might show you how it is done with the Control Center. Good luck with it.
Well, I've booted from the live CD and the machine has been on for over 2 hours, but all I've got is a blank white screen - I've tried this several times.
Sliphorn
anticapitalista wrote:Best to boot up the livecd with the new monitor and then /etc/X11/xorg.conf should automatically configure your new monitor.
ok - I tried a second LCD monitor which gave a little more information other than 'out of range' - it said 'input signal out of range'
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try the live cd again, but at the boot menu, choose Other then Vesa and also press F3 and choose your monitor resolution.

If that works, less us know for the next step
Sliphorn
anticapitalista wrote:Try the live cd again, but at the boot menu, choose Other then Vesa and also press F3 and choose your monitor resolution.

still gettint the 'out of range' box - not sure what the resolution is - used the auto selection.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try using something else like 1024x768 or higher ie 1200X...
secipolla
Sliphorn wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:Try the live cd again, but at the boot menu, choose Other then Vesa and also press F3 and choose your monitor resolution.

still gettint the 'out of range' box - not sure what the resolution is - used the auto selection.
It's exactly the auto selection that puts the monitor out of range, so you must try other resolutions only if to make it boot to the desktop.