Browntrout 57
I just installed the MX 14.4 non-PAE on my old Toshiba Tecra S1 this past Thursday (this is my 1st Linux distro). Everything went smoothly in the installation. Since I didn't want the XP any longer on the hard drive I chose to install on the whole hard drive which it reformated.

For two days I had no issues at all but at that time I was connecting to the internet via ethernet hardwire. So yesterday as I was checking out the various options I decided to see if the wireless connection would work. After I inputted the router security code the laptop immediately connected and I could access the internet wirelessly. When I went to shut it down about 15 minutes later the system shut-down but after a few seconds it rebooted.

It never shuts down fully; it goes to a blank end screen and you think it is fully powered off but then reboots. This was not happening when I only had it connected to the router by ethernet. But since I connected it to the internet wirelessly the issue is constant. It doesn't matter which way I have it connected, it reboots.

In addition when the system loads I get these 2 warning:

1. Waiting for/and developer to fully populate. Preco configuration failed! And...

2. Not starting NTFS kernal daemon. No exports. Warning!

I do not know the meaning of these warnings but I do know what NTFS stands for.

Do I need to do a clean install? Thanks.
BitJam
Wow, that is strange. Sometimes the strange problems are easier to fix. Please check you BIOS settings and see if"Net Boot" or something like that is set. Sometimes you can configure a system to boot automatically when there is network activity. I am not at all familiar with this feature and I am certainly not sure it can cause the symptoms you described, but it is an easy thing to check.
Browntrout 57
Thanks BitJam for your response. I will check the BIOS. As for points 1 and 2 is there anything that I should be concerned about?
BitJam
As for (1) and (2), please check your spelling. NTFS is a Windows file system and the message you posted makes little sense. But NFS stands for Network-File-System and could easily cause that benign message if it is enabled but not configured.

I think you mean"waiting for /dev to fully populate" not developer. I don't know what"precon" is.

It is possible both messages will go away once you fix the reboot issue. Even if error messages mean nothing to you, it is important to report them accurately (if you want help with your problems). It is also good practice to get in the habit of Googling any error messages you get.
Browntrout 57
It went by so fast I had a hard time reading it even after several tries; sorry it wasn't clear. The full line is"waiting for /dev to fully populate smcc-ircc2, Preco configuration failed." Googling it shows either it is an issue with the wireless or my ATI graphics. Whatever the cause my rebooting continues.

The other is"Not starting NTFS kernal daemon. No exports. Warning!" Googling that I get a myriad of possibilities so I think at this point I will just uninstall and try reinstalling later. Thanks.
BitJam
Did you check your BIOS settings? Since your computer automatically boots only when it is connected to the network, it really sounds like
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/"
linktext was:"Wake on LAN"
====================================
fatmac
To see the messages that fly past when booting up, use

Code: Select all

dmesg | less
(P.S. Tecras have had some peculiarities in the past, try looking for your problem including 'Tecra' in the search.)

Edit: To shutdown & switch off, try

sudo halt
or

sudo shutdown -h now