3guesses
Hi,

I have MX 14.2 installed on my MSI X610 laptop. I have connected my laptop to my full HD LG TV via HDMI but I have problems with both the display and the audio.

In Display, there are two outputs available: Laptop and AUO 15". When I select"Use this output" for the latter, it picks up the correct 1920x1080 resolution and 60Hz refresh rate, and there is indeed a display on my TV but it doesn't show the very left or very bottom of my desktop (it displays ~95% of each), so I can't see the panel. Also, from time to time the TV display completely blanks for a few seconds (both displays are active), which is very annoying.

In Audio Mixer, there are two sound cards available: HDA ATI SB (Alsa mixer) and HDA ATI HDMI (Alsa mixer). With the former selected, there are various controls shown for Playback (Master, Headphone, etc), but with the latter there are none shown and the only one available is a Switch called IEC958. Anyway, the problem is that I'm only getting playback from my laptop's speakers, not from the TV - how do I get the audio directed there?

Thanks for any help,

3g
dolphin_oracle
you may want to install pulseaudio. I've found it helpful with hdmi audio connection issues. I've got a recent video on my channel. I found it difficult to get audio to my TV without it, and bone simple with it.

as to the screen issue, does your TV have an"overscan" feature.
3guesses
OK, thanks, I would like to give pulseaudio a go. Unfortuately, I'm fairly new to Linux so not quite sure how to go about it. I've been to the download page and it's not at all clear what to do. In fact it seems to suggest it's not particularly trivial to install and it should be integrated into the distribution, so not quite sure where I go from here.

As to the TV, I had a look through the menus and there's no"overscan" feature that I can find. It is an LG 32LV355T (32" - not 15" as Display would seem to suggest). I have an Asus netbook (running XP) plugged into its VGA port and that displays on it at 1920x1080 no problem.

3g
dolphin_oracle
check out my vid. I walk through what packages to install. Its actually really simple assuming your sound card already works. you install through synaptic package manager.

if you are new to linux, I should mention that the package manager is the first place you look for install files. My rule of thumb is to avoid direct downloads when possible.

Not sure about the TV. the overscan thing was a guess. On my TV, the vga port settings are independent of the hdmi settings, so their may still be an issue there. I've got some settings on mine called"zoom" that still occasionaly affect the display. Mine's an el-cheapo Vizio from Walmart though.